AquaLung Valves with Exotic Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryan Neely

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey! I'm new! (Dances around in Christmas Tree gear.)

I'm doing some research into putting together my first kit. As part of that research I have visited several manufacturer's websites and downloaded manuals for various gear. When reviewing the manual for an AquaLung regulator I stumbled upon this fabulous phraseology:

DANGER: If the regulator that you use is fitted with a yoke or DIN connection, it is designed for use only with compressed breathing air (21% oxygen and 79% nitrogen) which meets the EN 12021 standard. DO NOT USE this equipment with other mixtures or with gases containing more than 21% oxygen. Disregarding this rule could result in serious accident or death caused by fire or by an explosion.

There are two things I'm confused about in this particular nugget of information.

1.) It comes on the tail end of several pages discussing the use of exotic gases (specifically EANx up to 40% oxygen). Why would the manufacturer go to such lengths to discuss the capacity to use this regulator with exotic gas and then turn around to offer the above warning.

2.) Are there connections that aren't yoke or DIN? It is my (relatively inexperienced) impression that yoke and DIN are the only two regulator first stages available. If this is the case, how could one expect to use exotic gas with any regulator, given this warning?

Please enlighten me. I love to learn!

Thanks!

Only guessing here...but I suspect that is a warning specific to European countries which have adopted the M26 standard for regulator connections and valves for oxygen enriched gasses.

In EU countries there is a 3rd connection type, M26, for any cylinder that is going to be used with any gas greater than 22% oxygen. It looks like a DIN connection but is incompatible.

Update...
Just looked at the AL manual and the warning you copied is under Section 1.2.2 -
Nitrox use for CEE (European Community) countries EN-144-3 and EN 13949. There is also a Warning Section right above the text you copied that mentions that there are special connections.

Update...
Just looked at the AL manual and the warning you copied is under Section 1.2.2 -
Nitrox use for CEE (European Community) countries EN-144-3 and EN 13949. There is also a Warning Section right above the text you copied that mentions that there are special connections.

Thanks Sevenrider. Basically, I need to read more carefully. Unfortunately, that means my curiosity is going to get the better of me. Off to learn more about why European Communities have different standards (not that it will affect me here in the U.S., I guess, but still interesting to note).

I appreciate your help. :)

Back
Top Bottom