Illegal dumping of lead/arsenic into waterways by SeaSoft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now the above is going to be irritating for some of you. Too much information, I can hear. But it is important to us at SEASOFT that you understand that we take this lead thing seriously. Dive safe.

Bruce
I'm not seeing any appeal on the PCHB calendar here Bruce? Are you not contesting this? If you are contesting it, can you provide us your docket number so we can follow along please.
PCHB/SHB Case Calendar

Just to let you know, the Grand Canyon tourist center is going through a similar thing. They had a couple of buckets of natural uranium ore. Rocks found on the ground, nothing processed. Sat around for 15-20 years. Suddenly it is national news that visitors to the grand canyon were exposed to radiation. If you walked through the field the rocks were collected in, no difference. Someone called them out on it, people showed up to look at the empty buckets wearing the funny yellow suits, standard safety protocol. But the press put the yellow suits as to look like it was a nuclear waste dump. A tiny bit outside the norm and suddenly it is the worst thing that ever happened and should be a superfund site. The experts are scratching there heads going off that it would only be a problem if it was processed uranium, and that is what the press heard (very selective hearing) and it is being selectively fed into the news chain.

In answer to an earlier question about an appeal. My attorney and I feel that under the present political cloud of Governor Insley running for President of the United States that we should instead seek our remedy in Federal Court. Last month in a landmark case the Supreme court ruled that the 8th Amendments ban on excessive fines applies to STATES as well as the federal government. Opinion analysis: Eighth Amendment’s ban on excessive fines applies to the states - SCOTUSblog

SEASOFT SCUBA did not harm its employees, the environment, and its spill was confined to a 15' x 25' gravel area beside our building to a depth of 1' and it was cleaned up immediately. It was our first offense, it did not enter the water system or sewer system and any number of people who go out on the weekend and "target practice" expend far more lead than we did. All employees were tested immediately in July and ALL of them had normal serum lead blood levels.

Yet we were fined $197,000.00. Now read about some other fines the Department of Ecology handed out and you will shake your head, we are bewildered. Read here.

Washington State Department of Ecology - Feb 13 Seattle Iron penalty

By the way, you can look for a Press Release for a vessel that spilled 558 gallons of diesel fuel into Portage Bay but you won't find one, instead you will find a tiny entry in the 4th quarter penalty page. It says this: October 25, 2018 - Research vessel Rachel Carson spilled 558 gallons of diesel fuel to Portage Bay. Penalty: $4,000.00 Yes, that sounds fair to me, I spilled 2 or 3 lbs. of lead and immediately cleaned it up.

We are going to court to clear our name.

In answer to an earlier question about an appeal. My attorney and I feel that under the present political cloud of Governor Insley running for President of the United States that we should instead seek our remedy in Federal Court. Last month in a landmark case the Supreme court ruled that the 8th Amendments ban on excessive fines applies to STATES as well as the federal government. Opinion analysis: Eighth Amendment’s ban on excessive fines applies to the states - SCOTUSblog

SEASOFT SCUBA did not harm its employees, the environment, and its spill was confined to a 15' x 25' gravel area beside our building to a depth of 1' and it was cleaned up immediately. It was our first offense, it did not enter the water system or sewer system and any number of people who go out on the weekend and "target practice" expend far more lead than we did. All employees were tested immediately in July and ALL of them had normal serum lead blood levels.

Yet we were fined $197,000.00. Now read about some other fines the Department of Ecology handed out and you will shake your head, we are bewildered. Read here.

Washington State Department of Ecology - Feb 13 Seattle Iron penalty

By the way, you can look for a Press Release for a vessel that spilled 558 gallons of diesel fuel into Portage Bay but you won't find one, instead you will find a tiny entry in the 4th quarter penalty page. It says this: October 25, 2018 - Research vessel Rachel Carson spilled 558 gallons of diesel fuel to Portage Bay. Penalty: $4,000.00 Yes, that sounds fair to me, I spilled 2 or 3 lbs. of lead and immediately cleaned it up.

You have my backing.

In answer to an earlier question about an appeal. My attorney and I feel that under the present political cloud of Governor Insley running for President of the United States that we should instead seek our remedy in Federal Court.

I am interested, please let us know when this is filed and the docket if you can.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please stay on topic to the court case and the lead remediation of the site. Politics are for the Pub. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom