Neutral-to-positive Tec/Cave Suitable Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MARK1992

Registered
Reaction score
Currently using a pair of XL SP Jetfins. Tried a DM's pair of Seawing Novas and really liked what it did for my trim. Didn't realize how much I was fighting to maintain a horizontal attitude till then.

Any recommendations for fins with similar buoyancy characteristics as the Seawing Nova but perhaps more suitable for technical and/or cave diving?

Deep6 Eddy's. OMS Slipstreams. Hollis F1 LT's.

Deep 6 Eddy fins. I used SP's for decades, the Eddy's are the only fin that I like better on the first dive with them.

Deep 6 Eddy fins. I used SP's for decades, the Eddy's are the only fin that I like better on the first dive with them.

Ditto. Much preferred over my Jet Fins. Dive Rite XT's aren't bad either, but they require some adjustment to your kick style compared to a jet fin

You can shave a few more ounces by DIY bungees, I use them on my Eddy fins.

Those of you using the deep 6 fins, have you tried them in BM doubles with a wetsuit? My jets are just bit on the heavy side, not terrible, but I want to try something neutral without giving up the jetfin stiffness and control.

Those of you using the deep 6 fins, have you tried them in BM doubles with a wetsuit? My jets are just bit on the heavy side, not terrible, but I want to try something neutral without giving up the jetfin stiffness and control.

yes. They're also stiffer than jetfins. I use them with wetsuits in doubles regularly

Fins I have weighed myself, in fresh water, using a digital luggage scale (buoyancy #s are per pair):

Deep6 Eddy, size L: ~neutral
Hollis F1 LT, size Regular: -1#
Hollis F1, size XL: -2#
Dive Rite XT, size L: ~ -0.7#
Atomic Blade, size L: ~ -0.7#

My Deep6 fins are my favorites out of all my fins. They are my fin of choice for wetsuit diving with a single tank or in sidemount. Super comfortable. Great stiffness. Light (out of the water). Excellent for technical maneuvering. Relatively short, so good for tight spaces.

For diving in a wetsuit with doubles (old PST steel HP120s), I find myself to be a little head heavy and so I use the Hollis F1 LT fins and they balance out the extra head weight of my doubles just about perfectly. The Eddy fins are a little bit light for me, in that configuration. The Hollis fins are just about as comfortable as the Deep6 fins. Absolutely no complaints on that. They just feel heavy in the water, in comparison. The Deep6 fins almost feel like you have nothing on your feet. You can definitely tell when you have the Hollis fins on. The Hollis fins don't feel quite as stiff as the Deep6, but they are close.

The DR XT fins were just too stiff for my taste. I felt like I was on the verge of calf cramping constantly.

The Atomics were my very first fins. I loved them... until I tried the others. The Atomics are just too bendy for me. And, they are not the best design for facilitating back kicks (low, rounded sidewalls and a slight downward bend from the foot pocket). They work well for scissor/flutter kicks and frog kicks, though.

For diving in a drysuit, in all configurations, I use the Hollis F1 fins because my feet are so floaty.

I have let 4 other instructors plus 2 buddies all try my Deep6 fins. They all now have their own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom