PLBs Can Save Your Life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah ok my misunderstanding. So if I was doing say a shore dive the nautilus would serve a good purpose. If I was doing a boat dive I’d be more inclined to have the plb1?

Sorry for the noob questions. I am just that. A noob in this field. So trying to figure out what i need
No need to apologize, I can only explain it because I dug in and did research on them recently. I decided to carry both the acr 400 plb and the nautilus whether shore diving or boat diving. The nautilus takes up no room and while the canister for plb will be a bit bulky, I will adjust.

So look at the features of each and decide what risk you are willing to assume and make your purchase decision. Personally I would rather spend 500 and never need them, then to not and need one or the other and not have it.

Ah ok my misunderstanding. So if I was doing say a shore dive the nautilus would serve a good purpose. If I was doing a boat dive I’d be more inclined to have the plb1?

Sorry for the noob questions. I am just that. A noob in this field. So trying to figure out what i need

Nautilus is line of sight VHF alert signal to boat or USCG post that has a capability of monitoring AIS or DSC alert. The alert may be reachable to about 3 mile to a boat marine radio or AIS. It may be further away (~13 miles) if there is a 100 foot tall antenna of USCG post.

When you are in the middle of no where with no boat around 360 over the horizon, then it’s time to launch the big gun, sending 5 watts 406 MHz signal to hundreds of miles to LEOSAR & MEOSAR and thousands of miles to GEOSAR.

I believe you posted this video already? I’ve been watching all the ones you’ve posted.

No need to apologize, I can only explain it because I dug in and did research on them recently. I decided to carry both the acr 400 plb and the nautilus whether shore diving or boat diving. The nautilus takes up no room and while the canister for plb will be a bit bulky, I will adjust.

So look at the features of each and decide what risk you are willing to assume and make your purchase decision. Personally I would rather spend 500 and never need them, then to not and need one or the other and not have it.
Ok this helps a lot. I was looking at the new acr + model that’s buoyant. So essentially if I’m carrying a nautilus and an acr resq + I’d be well covered?

I'm sure someone may have commented on this question before but I can't find it. When traveling by air with your PLB TSA's page says check with airline, airlines page doesn't say anything, people on phone don't have a clue so do you guys just say it's a gps and roll on?
TSA found my light monkey canister very interesting. Trying to tell them how to open it, since they won't let you touch it, was complex.

PLB is not intended for diver. You can’t take ACR ResQLink down to deeper than 33 feet (10m) for more than 10 min without waterproof case. That’s why people here are talking about getting Light Monkey canister to put their PLB in it.

Canister Parts

I travel to all over the world for my recreational diving vacation, carrying my diver gears and underwater camera equipment with me. I don’t want to carry heavy & bulky stuff around if I have a choice for lighter & compact ones. That’s why I pick PLB1 with the $10 old camera case (from eBay) that is good to 131 feet (40m). It’s been working fine for 2.5 years, 200+ dives & down to as deep as 144 feet (44m).

7AF00122-8273-403D-AFE9-3A59EBE4E2DE.jpeg
FA2B2627-369C-44FD-867D-607F578E8DFB.jpeg

PLB is not intended for diver. You can’t take ACR ResQLink down to deeper than 33 feet (10m) for more than 10 min without waterproof case. That’s why people here are talking about getting Light Monkey canister to put their PLB in it.

Canister Parts

I travel to all over the world for my recreational diving vacation, carrying my diver gears and underwater camera equipment with me. I don’t want to carry heavy & bulky stuff around if I have a choice for lighter & compact ones. That’s why I pick PLB1 with the $10 old camera case (from eBay) that is good to 131 feet (40m). It’s been working fine for 2.5 years, 200+ dives & down to as deep as 144 feet (44m).

What specific camera is that case for?

I’ve look at some otterboxes. They are waterproof some to 90 feet and more.
I’ve used them before for carrying keys and they do work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom