Should I get the discontinued Oceanic Geo 2.0 or go for something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A question I'm curious about is the Bluetooth drain. Would this mean more significant battery drain than before? Does the Bluetooth auto turn off? Or is the user expected to turn it on/off when necessary, to conserve battery?

You put the computer into BT transmission mode. It's off until you tell it to be on -- like any BT download device.

As for power usage: It uses less power than the cable. But power consumption during dive transfer is *NOT* why you buy one computer over another. Talk about the tail wagging the dog...

On my Oceanic Veo 180NX, yes, it's limited by number of samples, not number of dives per se. I've got mine set for 15 second samples. So if your dives are short, you can fit more. I've absolutely overflowed the computer on a busy trip. Hence my encouraging to consider the BT. Having said that, unless you're doing 4 dives a day for a week, you're not going to overflow. If you're a beginning diver considering the Geo 2.0, I wouldn't let that stop me. For $270, it's worth the money. But seeing as the cable is $100, I'd go with the Geo 4.0 for all of $30 more: it's worth the extra money.

Geo2 has been out since 2009, I've dived one as a backup to my VT3 since 2010, a fine computer. I have not downloaded from the Geo2 as I download from my AI VT3. I've dived DSAT since 2002.

Geo2 is $270, download cable $100. Geo4 is $400. If I was not going to download, I'd save the money and go with the Geo2, otherwise I would buy the Geo4

As for power usage: It uses less power than the cable. But power consumption during dive transfer is *NOT* why you buy one computer over another.

It would matter to me, since I'd rather not have to replace the battery more often... or charge the device more. For example, I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR. With GPS on, it lasts about one day. Without GPS, it lasts about 18 days, including continuous heart rate recording 24/7. Obviously GPS is a huge power drain. I was just wondering whether the Geo 4.0, with Bluetooth on and not turned off after transfer, would unexpectedly last shorter. I'd rather lose older dive logged than have the dive computer run out of juice before the end of a long trip.

I had a geo 2 for about 5 years it still works but upgraded to a shearwater last year. Only good things to say about the geo 2 simple and does everything you need for rec diving only downside it does not have AI but that’s a preference anyway. I still take my geo 2 just to compare sometimes with my shearwater

Any deals on the geo 2.0 cable? I’ve had mine about 3 years now and like it even with the somewhat cryptic menus. Not having the cable is annoying. Future upgrade will certainly be a shearwater.

Any deals on the geo 2.0 cable? I’ve had mine about 3 years now and like it even with the somewhat cryptic menus. Not having the cable is annoying. Future upgrade will certainly be a shearwater.
You're kidding, cable is $100

I love my geo 2, but I am not really interested downloading. I wear mine as a watch a lot, use it to time swims, and I freedive in the pool and local waters with it. On scuba dives it backs up my other DSAT oceanic computer. It does what I want, I bought it last summer, I use it a lot, and I haven’t changed the battery yet.

The Geo 2.0 is a great little computer. I've had one since shortly after they came out and never had a problem with it. I really like it and will recommend it to anyone wanting a good basic computer. I picked up the Oceanic OCi 2 years ago as my primary and the Geo is now my backup and loaner computer. As for the price difference to the 4.0, that just depends on whether it offers features you need.

I have one, and the cable. It works flawlessly with Subsurface software.

The menu system takes a little concentration, but is not unreasonable. I've made myself a 'cheat sheet' to remember the key things I like to change, but I've never really needed it.

Everyone gets all enamored with the newest coolest color bluetooth compass GPS stuff, but I just don't see those features as worth another $800. The Geo 2.0 works great and has an easy to read screen (even as I'm starting to need bifocals).

I think they are a solid computer, and as someone above pointed out, you can probably get a screaming deal on a used one!

Back
Top Bottom