Trip Report Trip Report-Philippines-Puerto Galera-El Galleon/Asia Divers-April 1-14, 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Day 2 of diving started out with a much anticipated 2 tank excursion to Verde Island. Ever since researching this trip and finally deciding to do it, the one thing I knew for sure is that I had to get at least one, if not two, days of diving in at Verde Island. It sits about an hour boat ride away from Puerto Galera and is very distinct from the rest of the diving in the area. Visibility is much better due to the currents, it has dramatic walls and pinnacles and lots of larger schooling fish like Jacks and Trevally. Thousands of anthias so thick it is hard to see through them. All that I had heard and read lived up to the hype. We did 2 amazing dives on Verde Island but I don't have much to show for it from a photo standpoint. The dives are not for the faint of heart. Currents can be very strong at times and we surfaced in huge swells which made getting back on the boat an exercise, but it was all worth it.

We almost didn't make the dives at all, however. We motored over to the dive site and cut the engines while the DM jumped in the water for a quick snorkel to survey currents and determine our best drop spot and then once decided, the boat wouldn't restart. There are a set of small pinnacles jutting up above the surface about 3-5 feet high that we were being pushed into. The bamboo outrigger of the bangka boat was suddenly crashing up against the rocky, craggy pinnacles. Every attempt to restart the boat failed. Everyone worked together with ropes and lengthy bamboo shafts to keep us off the rocks and we eventually had success in maneuvering around to the lee side of them and to safety. We radioed the dive shop back in Sabang and they sent out a speed boat with a spare battery (which was the issue). Ultimately, we ended up transferring all of our gear to the speed boat and left the bangka boat to repair itself and motor back home while we got our first dive in. We had lost a couple of hours in the whole ordeal and it was a shame, because when we arrived, the ocean was glass and the currents low, but by the time we dropped in for the first dive, we had 3 foot swell and white caps. After dive one, we retreated to a quiet spot of the island for a surface interval before heading back out for dive 2. Visibility was 60-80 feet and it was truly a dramatic dive, but definitely one for more experienced divers due to depths, strong and variable currents at times and potentially challenging surface conditions upon coming up from the dive. Currents are not like a typical drift dive that move in one direction. The dive site is a series of pinnacles and valleys and cuts and you can be moving along a wall in one direction and then the wall curves back on itself in the other direction and as you poke your head around the corner, you hit a current coming at you that can rip your mask off. It was unlike any dive I have ever done before.

Once back at the resort, we had a late lunch (roasted pumpkin and spinach salad with feta and pine nuts and a large pizza)-- then a little 40 minute lay down on the bed and back out for the last dive of the day at 4pm. We hit a dive site only 3 minutes from the resort called Monkey Beach. Viz was 30 feet and cloudy, but it was a wonderful dive on a very pretty and colorful reef, full of life and a nice way to end the dive day. On our safety stop, we enjoyed a docile and somewhat playful 8 foot long Banded Sea Snake. After a nice hot shower and a bit of a rest, we enjoyed the weekly Friday night Indian food buffet for dinner and it was excellent. We followed that up with a 1 hour deep tissue massage that cost a whopping $14.

upload_2019-4-6_6-24-18.png

Surface interval at Verde Island. Something of note, in 1422 a Portuguese Galleon full of porcelain dishes sunk off the coast near where we did this surface interval. To this day, pieces of porcelain are found washing up on shore. My wife found a few shards, I will post a picture of her find later.

I've dived with Asia Divers on three occasions but prefer Anilao as my main dive destination in that region.

@Trailboss123 pass on my regards to Ally (Alison), I think she's still there, and please do a night dive on the wreck of the Alma Jane, it's awesome :)
I dived with Allie and her daughter the day before yesterday. Allie is awesome. Will pass along your regards. Will be doing the Alma Jane this morning as a day dive and will see what I can do about a night dive on it. We still have 8 days of diving left.

Verde is great but getting back into the boat can be a challenge....glad you did kit OK. Monkey Beach is my favourite shallow dive in Sabang. Favourite deeper dive is Canyons. Love your ongoing posts. Keep it up !

Our theory is that the water temps are still a little cold for March/April so the plankton bloom hasn't subsided yet.

According to the web site "Sea water temperature in Puerto Galera in April. Mimaropa" the water temperatures are typical for this time of year. I have used this site for trip planning to Puerto Galera, Bonaire, Hawaii, Roatan and Mexico have found it to be quite accurate. We spent 12 nights a Scandi Divers on Big La Laguna Beach last May. At first I was a little disappointed with the visibility at the sites close to the resort (some better than others). After a few dives I was blown away by the biodiversity. We did two trips to Verde where we had great visibility and crazy currents. We are headed to Cabilao and Dauin for two weeks in early May.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom