How to tell the DM you're not a disaster underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd say the second low pressure inflator for a drysuit is the giveaway...
I thought that was how you picked out the inexperienced DM's.

Any advice on how to tactfully but effectively ask to be paired with more experienced divers in these situations, so that I can have longer dives and better buddies?

As a DM, if you came up to me at the start of the day and explained the amount of diving and training you have received in the past 9 months I would probably say something like, "Awesome! You sound just like me! Got certified and became completely addicted." I would then happily put you with more advanced divers. Depending on the dive site and what sort of dives and specialties you have would determine what group I'd pair you with.

Just be honest, bring your logbook and your C-cards to back up your claims. The DM won't be upset.

EDIT: You know what the DMs absolutely hate? Arrogance and knowitallism!!! I had a diver who could not stop telling everyone he has 500 dives. He corrected every conversation around him, but he was always wrong. He had tons of Tech gear but had no idea how to dive with it. I don't feel comfortable with him in the deep end of the pool, let alone the ocean. You don't come across as that guy, in fact you sound humble and sincere.

Tell the DM in private before he makes up the groups what you just told us. It’s not rude, it’s the truth. And if it’s not, you’ll be sure to hear about it.
A lot of great replies, but this simple one seems like really all you can do. I've only done one "tropical" week trip and the first 4 days it was just me and the DM (and I was a DMC myself). But I've heard that the tropics is a whole different ball game for DMs than local charters in US/Canada. I didn't run into this problem on any Gulf of Mexico day charters, even when I had less than 10 dives. I guess the silver lining is that you dive a lot and in a year or two your years + dives will bump you up when you hit those tropics.

An alternative is what gear you bring. Not in itself a reason for BP/W, long hose, necklace, and a trim but competent collection of gear.

I show up with yellow split fins that I bought when I got certified (went to stiffer when was doing some DM but now back to the splits with 73 old knees), my first BCD, regular regulator, large SMB, reel, spare mask, couple dive computers, appropriate wet suit, and a camera. Definitely not high tech or the latest thing.

The BCD is a personal thing. Earlier in my life I snow skied, did a fair amount of fishing with a life vest on (by myself in the ocean), did some canoeing, etc. I just like the feel of the BCD.

No idea if it is competent. No idea what others think. Never asked. But it is me and I have no trouble finding dive buddies to dive with in the local waters.

A lot of great replies, but this simple one seems like really all you can do. I've only done one "tropical" week trip and the first 4 days it was just me and the DM (and I was a DMC myself). But I've heard that the tropics is a whole different ball game for DMs than local charters in US/Canada. I didn't run into this problem on any Gulf of Mexico day charters, even when I had less than 10 dives. I guess the silver lining is that you dive a lot and in a year or two your years + dives will bump you up when you hit those tropics.
I've seen a DMC that didn't know how to dive. My experience in warm water has been that the DM's don't care how many dives you say you have or how many cards you carry. They watch you like hawks as you assemble your gear and for the first descent. If you don't muck it up they go bother someone else.

They watch you like hawks as you assemble your gear and for the first descent. If you don't muck it up they go bother someone else.

Ain't that the truth!!! Working with students I've actually gained this superpower to simultaneously watch six people put their gear together and notice every little thing. The ones that look confused/uncomfortable setting up their gear I give extra time to and show them things in detail, and give them little pointers. Then you have the students who look like they've been diving for years and I think, is my boss testing me? LOL!

Someone mentioned NC charters earlier. Offshore in NC, sadly with an op no longer around, I watched a DMC run out of air at 90 feet, and after that same dive, another diver couldn’t understand why her computer would not stop beeping (she bent the computer, luckily not herself). Of all the places I would not want to be a DM/dive guide, NC tops the list!

The interesting thing is that it’s typically more challenging (deeper, currents, DMs don’t set up your gear, you have to bring your own bottles onto the boat at a lot of the ops, etc) than Caribbean diving and I would expect slightly more advanced skills.

I've seen a DMC that didn't know how to dive. My experience in warm water has been that the DM's don't care how many dives you say you have or how many cards you carry. They watch you like hawks as you assemble your gear and for the first descent. If you don't muck it up they go bother someone else.

My fellow cold water divers have told me the DMs/captains they’ve dived with in Mexico/Key Largo told them they love cold water divers - who generally are more competent than the occasional vacation divers.

Back
Top Bottom