Search and Rescue - Lasers and Signaling Devices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well that is beyond retarded. Wait till the press, and every other person hears of this incident and the person actually trying to be rescued dies because of this. Rightly so, it'll be a feeding frenzy on that crew.

Do you even listen to the things you people post regarding this stuff?!
A million percent this. Considering lasers are accepted by US law for distress and SAR the actual crew that ignored the laser would be hung out to dry. Especially if they tried to use the excuse of even though it’s legal to use the laser “I chose” to ignore it and the person died.

Well that is beyond retarded. Wait till the press, and every other person hears of this incident and the person actually trying to be rescued dies because of this. Rightly so, it'll be a feeding frenzy on that crew.

Do you even listen to the things you people post regarding this stuff?!
I will assume that you have had the Rescue Diver course. One of the things that is stressed over and over again is that you NEVER put the rescuer at risk and potentially increase the number of people needing to be rescued, so yes. I would protect my crew.

I will assume that you have had the Rescue Diver course. One of the things that is stressed over and over again is that you NEVER put the rescuer at risk and potentially increase the number of people needing to be rescued, so yes. I would protect my crew.
That worked out pretty well for the Thai Cave Rescue, didn't it.

So you would blatantly disregard the fact that lasers are accepted for use during distress and SAR? If the crew is properly trained they would know lasers are accepted for these types of uses. Hence searching an ocean and they see a random laser where one shouldn’t be they investigate the source.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

WARNING

Posts that are too angry in tone or use inappropriate language will be deleted without further notice.

Folks have taken great interest in this thread. Let's not let it go off the rails and end up closed to further comments.

That worked out pretty well for the Thai Cave Rescue, didn't it.
Remind me what aircraft the Thai rescuers were in when they were lased.

Oh wait, never mind, you are attempting to draw a parallel with a totally different situation.

Remind me what aircraft the Thai rescuers were in when they were lased.

Oh wait, never mind, you are attempting to draw a parallel with a totally different situation.
LOL. You were talking about Rescue class, and not endangering the rescuers. Right?

Tursiops I think is saying that they didn't follow the 'don't risk a rescurer' moto during the thai kid rescue. They risked and lost life saving them. Trying to make a case that a laser 'flash' is somehow more risky than what those folks did is pretty irrational, especially since none of you can give us one single example of when the laser caused an accident.

Some of you guys have missed the point so badly, I can't believe I was ever convinced you'd even be able to flag an aircraft with a laser. You'd probably hold it backward and blind yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom