Accident & Incident Discussion - Northernone - aka Cameron Donaldson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"In the back of my mind, I've wondered whether a deeper, ROV search in the area may have been useful. We'll never know"

It may not be too late.

His oldest childhood friend told me there is something very right about the fact that Cameron didn't end up in a cemetery somewhere. If his body were recovered, who would benefit? Certainly not the family. They have found their peace. I have no need to take the perfect resting place and work towards an end result that would require a recovery and less perfect final disposition. RIP my friend RIP

His oldest childhood friend told me there is something very right about the fact that Cameron didn't end up in a cemetery somewhere. If his body were recovered, who would benefit? Certainly not the family. They have found their peace. I have no need to take the perfect resting place and work towards an end result that would require a recovery and less perfect final disposition. RIP my friend RIP

I agree with you completely, Ray. Cameron and I actually had a conversation about this very thing once upon a time.

Cam enjoyed all Coz has to offer.
He enjoyed the music, especially when it was on the waterfront.
Turquoise has live music and we would sometimes pick up some beers and hang out on the beach next door rather than in the bar itself.
I went the other night to share a cold one.

I have spoken with Bonnie and she confirmed with certainty what I shared in post #315. I wanted to make sure I had correctly represented their feelings and she said it was perfectly stated.

She went on to relate something she had been meaning to tell me before and she had mentioned in another context earlier. She had told me before how perfect the dive had been the day before and how they had eaten very well and how the day was perfect and they had experienced a feeling that everything was really perfect and that the gear had recently been serviced and was all in perfect working order.

What she told me today put that in a little better perspective.

Remember that they had lost the scooter the week before through a miscommunication on the surface. As a result they decided to avoid any potential mistakes that may be made through the complacency that can occur from doing hundreds and hundreds of dives together. In the week before the accident, they had gone over all the different strategies and scenarios, communications and safety protocols in case of mishap or separation. They went over who would be responsible for what and when and Cameron had gone through all their gear and serviced all of it with replacement of all the seats and o-rings and maintenance of all the hardware. That's what she had been referring to when she mentioned the gear being recently serviced and everything being in perfect working order.

She went on to say that Cameron was very careful when they dove together because he would never be able to live with himself if anything had happened to his mother when they were diving together. That's what she meant when she said they always did 20-30 minutes more deco than the conservative setting that they used. gf 30/70 with an extra 20 in the shallows is indeed very conservative. It extended beyond that to other things they did to be careful, in spite of their experience and training allowing them to do dives that to some would be advanced. Dive safe out there.

IMG_4836.jpg
IMG_3321.jpg

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for this but it seems appropriate to illustrate in a way that perhaps only a picture can now how much love Cameron had for his mom and how difficult it would be to imagine him taking unnecessary risks with her safety. There have been some theories and conclusions put forth in this thread about the danger of the current on that day and other things for which there is no evidence beyond rumor and hearsay. If there was a risky situation, Cameron and Bonnie knew how to evaluate risk and call a dive. They could dive every day. There was no reason to push any limits when they were diving together. Whatever happened, I am certain it wasn't because Cameron made a cavalier decision to ignore his experience and his training and play fast and loose with his mother's safety.

If the family is at peace, then may all be at peace with their decision.

May our diver friend be at peace and dive on in the place he loves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom