47 Meters Down: The Next Chapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished 47 meters down -- it was a truly awful movie, but I honestly had great fun watching it. I really enjoyed the captain explaining that he didn't send more tanks down to them sooner because he didn't want them to get nitrogen narcosis. (Apparently, the captain thought death was a less serious problem.) They didn't cover switching my regulator from one tank to another underwater in my discover dive class. 44 minutes on a single tank at 150 feet is a pretty good air consumption rate, especially when panicked and racing around. There is so much to make fun of, it's hard to even know where to start.

For the sequel I am really hoping the surviving sister decides to give that same dive operator a second chance.

Due to this thread, I finally broke down and watched this movie on Netflix. As I said earlier, I've had in my queue for some time now but just couldn't bring myself to watch it due to all of the negative remarks.

That being said, yes, parts of it were eye-roll inducing while others literally made me laugh at the absurdity. However, I did find that a lot of the "errors" in this movie could likely be logically explained due to the circumstances revealed at the end of the movie. Whether that was intended or not is open for debate. And in not trying to post any spoilers for this film, those that have seen it should know what I'm talking about. As in a lot of movie reviews, some people go in just looking for goofs (seriously, I don't see how people can spot some goofs in movies without watching them frame for frame.)

I'm not defending this movie or claiming it to be a cinematic masterpiece nor a realistic dive movie. It is neither. But to criticize some of the errors (after the spare tanks were dropped down) is just nit-picking for the sake of being critical.

I am now looking forward to the next movie to see if they have learned anything about actual scuba diving since making the first one. Somehow, I highly doubt it.

I did find that a lot of the "errors" in this movie could likely be logically explained due to the circumstances revealed at the end of the movie.

Yes, good point -- that ending could be used to sort of make many previous errors disappear. Of course, it still didn't look like anyone was planning for a 90 minute decompression stop. The movie was fun to watch if you are the type that enjoys "bad" horror movies -- getting in that cage was pretty much like every horror movie character going down the stairs into the dark, dangerous cellar. Even more fun to watch with someone that dives.

Cardboard ad at the theater... the shark has gotten bigger...

IMG_20190528_1827525.jpg

What is bugging me is that I know how challenging it is to shoot any kind of underwater scenes for a movie and how experienced and dedicated diving team it needs to do it even somewhat efficiently and safely.
I wonder what the uw teams faces looked like when they first read the script. :rofl3:
Being a very experienced professional shooting crap like that just for they money must be somewhat hard when you know exactly how it should be done realistically and still the director and producers wanted to do it their way :shocked:

Did they breathe the single alu80 dry in the first movie or would it still have some air left to do a repetitive dive in the sequel? :popcorn:

Did they breathe the single alu80 dry in the first movie or would it still have some air left to do a repetitive dive in the sequel? :popcorn:

Based on the previous movie, that 2 bar of air showing in the new trailer should last through the whole movie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom