Worlds Deepest Pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
World's deepest pool to open in Poland

Check out this training pool! Now this is what diver training should be like IMO.

When the world's deepest pool opens in Poland later this year, complete with underwater caves and overhangs, you'll be able to go as low as 45 meters (148 feet).

Designers say it will suit both beginners and more experienced divers, but those who don't want to get wet can also enjoy the facilities, thanks to an underwater tunnel for spectators.

Looks fantastic.

More pics.

I live in Belgium and Nemo 33 is about 30-40 minutes from my house. The water is warm and crystal clear but there is nothing spectacular about diving there...its a nice distraction for a certified diver on miserable winter day, but it is expensive to do quite often. I have heard similar sentiments from folks that I know who have ventured to the similar pool in Italy which is slightly deeper.

The fact is that there is not much to do at the bottom of a 30m, 40m, or 45m pool except watch your no-deco time tick down rapidly on your dive computer. The fact that you are in an indoor pool does not change physics and magically give you extended bottom/no-deco time. Plus, one is usually limited to the timeframe of a scheduled session so the chance of extending one's bottom time with multiple tanks and mixed gas and conducting decompression stops outside of a normal course is fairly out of the question. At Nemo33, when at the bottom of the deepest area, one typically has 8 minutes of no-deco time, cut that by a few minutes in the pool in Poland.

Bottom line is that these place are great to say that you have been there and done that, but the reality is that there is nothing particularly interesting about diving in these pools aside from the initial novelty of being in a really deep indoor pool.

-Z

I live in Belgium and Nemo 33 is about 30-40 minutes from my house. The water is warm and crystal clear but there is nothing spectacular about diving there...its a nice distraction for a certified diver on miserable winter day . . . .

That helps explain why these pools are in Belgium, Poland, etc. No lack of such days. :)

I didn't need a buddy in Nemo 33 - these pools are really just novelty dives - when it's snow flurries and 2c and you're an Australian used to diving in the coral triangle it was just a novelty way to spend a couple of hours and add another to the list of countries I have dived. I had fun, entertained a few people watching but will add there are some strict conditions re diving gear so as to not contaminate the water which are explained on their website . Interested to see the Polish pool completed...I've only ever been to Poland by accident when I turned left instead of right in Dresden :wink: - I'm not the only one to have made this mistake.

I didn't need a buddy in Nemo 33 - these pools are really just novelty dives - when it's snow flurries and 2c and you're an Australian used to diving in the coral triangle it was just a novelty way to spend a couple of hours and add another to the list of countries I have dived. I had fun, entertained a few people watching but will add there are some strict conditions re diving gear so as to not contaminate the water which are explained on their website . Interested to see the Polish pool completed...I've only ever been to Poland by accident when I turned left instead of right in Dresden :wink: - I'm not the only one to have made this mistake.

It is my understanding that if you dove without a buddy in Nemo33 it was only because the staff did not realize you did not have one. There is typically one or two people on the pool deck, there is group brief before anyone is allowed to enter the pool where they explain the rules and the time limits of the session, they further state that each group of divers should conduct their own pre-dive brief. There is an expectation that everyone has coordinated a buddy before the dive starts and the entire group starts and ends at the same time. One person from a buddy team might arrive a few minutes earlier than their partner and the guy at the register might not know that you are buddy-less. Since the group brief is everyone attending the session the pool staff won't be aware either...top all that off with the rather laissez-faire attitude of the Belgian population and one can slip through the cracks and dive alone....its not per their rules but obviously can happen.

-Z

In Italy there is the Y-40 the goes down to 40 meters (131.2 feet)
Right now AFAIK it is the deepest swimming pool in the world
Montegrotto Terme - Wikipedia
In the town of Montegrotto they have hot springs of thermal water. It comes out from the ground very warm about 70 or 80 C degrees (170 Farenheit) and they actually cool it down to fill up the swimming pool. Sometimes there in the farms around the town they have some sort of smoke or vapor coming out from the irrigation canals, the hot springs are scattered all over the town
If you pass by that area Venice / Padova, the place is worth a visit. It takes about 2 and a half hours by car also from Milan

The pools in Italy and Poland are like 6 minute abs:

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom