Shore Diving on the Lower Sunshine Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon Brad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys

I live in Gibsons on the Sunshine Coast. I've been diving these waters for the past 4 years, and have the know how of several great shore dives in the area.

The ferry from Horseshoe Bay is about 40 minutes, and you only pay coming this way.

Here are a few of my personal favourites:

Soames Point
The only truly solid local spot I've found. Even though Gibsons is on the South west tip of Howe Sound, the shore diving around town is limited. However, my buddy and I discovered a gem in Soames point, and it feel cool to dive a spot that likely very few divers have ever explored ever.
Along Marine Drive about halfway between the Langdale Ferry terminal and Gibsons, turn down Soames rd. Tough to spot, there is a bus stop at the top of the road. If you search "Soames Beach" in google maps, you will find it. Park down the rd, which turns into a trail down to the beach at its end.
Once you're on the beach, trudge down about 150-200 yards (not exactly fun in the summer sun) and enter the water near where the beach turns into a rocky jutting point. Directly off this point, a couple hundred yards out, you will see a large green commercial traffic marker buoy. It's a long swim, so bring your snorkel if you prefer it, but it is worth it, trust me.
Take a compass bearing back towards the beach (I believe it is roughly due north) and use this buoy to descend to about 110 fsw. You will be gradually shallowing up as you head toward shore, perfect!
So many ling cod at this site it is unbelievable. The large boulders scattered everywhere along the point are full of unexplored caves. Have at her!

Tuwanek
The best known spot on the coast, along with the Skookumchuk rapids, is Tuwanek. A favourite dive of Vancouver's Diving Locker, as I see them there all the time. A 10 minute drive north of Sechelt up Sechelt inlet Rd, Tuwanek offers great shore diving with moderate surface swimming. Once you've made your way up the curvy road and through the sleepy settlement of Tuwanek (drive slowly, the locals really really don't like it when you go faster than 30 through the inhabited last stretch) you will go down a hill and find yourself at a beach with a portable toilet (yay) and a small grassy area with several row boats sitting. Park anywhere along the road, respecting the no parking zones and residents properties, and use the handy steel picnic table to set up your rig.
You will notice 2 islands not far offshore, one on the left, one on the right. The right island has no buoy lines to descend on, I usually go right to the point (about a 150 yard swim from shore) and descend to about 40 fsw. Making your way around the point of this island, you have the option to stay relatively shallow (30-50 fsw) or dive much deeper. Around 100-110 fsw off this island, there are many friendly wolf eels to hang out with, and the large boulders provide plenty of holes to shine your lights in.
I personally prefer the left island. Making your way out past the swimming float about 40 yards off beach, continue to the white buoy line. Here, you can descend to 50 fsw, and start making your way along the sloping wall around the left island. I've found several massive Skates here, macrolife galore, and a few GPO's, with one resident hanging around 30 fsw along the island further back towards the beach that I like to visit. Like the right island, if you're a techie and deep diving is your thing, I've been to 130 fsw off this island (generally as deep as I'll go) and it keeps going down down down into the abyss. One of my favourite things is hovering over the void as the slight narcosis sets in.

Cooper's Green
The Green is a 15 minute drive north of Sechelt along highway 101. Turn off at the second entrance to RedRooffs rd (yes, there's 2 fs) as the first will take you along the long winding main artery of Halfmoon Bay and prolong your travels.
Turn down Fisherman Rd and drive right to the end, past the boat launch. This is a no parking zone, so drop your gear and head back down the road. In Summer, it can be a real pain as boaters hog all the spaces with their trucks and trailers.
There is bathrooms and changing rooms here, but the park asks that you keep out of them when you are wet post dive, which is fair.
While a sign clearly tells you where the diving area is (basically anything to the left of the boat launch ramp) I like to walk down the ramp, as it makes for a nice easy entry, and there is a neat deer statue someone sank not far off the ramp in 15 fsw that has lots growing on it. Of course, if you're going to dive here, make sure you have a surface marker due to the boat traffic from the ramp.
The area behind the rock that is a few yards off shore (actually walkable to at a very low tide) is a compact dive site that offers a lot. GPO's, wolfeels, Rockfish galore, tonnes of hermit crabs (love these guys) and dungeness crab (don't think of snagging any no matter how tempting, this is a regional park and the ranger is around frequently). Most of the good stuff is in caves around 50-70 fsw, but if you want to go deeper, the site slops down fairly rapidly to well past 100 fsw. Overall a nice spot for a single dive.

Ole's Cove/Rockwater Secret Cove Resort
My personal Favourite spot (for now). To get there, simply punch "Rockwater resort" into google maps, presto. It's about a 25 minute drive north of Sechelt.
Because the resort is private property, it's a good idea to check in at reception first, they don't mind divers using their dock, but they will remind you that you assume all liability for yourself. So if you're planning on suing them if you slip on the dock and break your wrist, don't dive here.
The aforementioned dock makes for a nice entry and exit point, complete with ladder. Just be sure to open the gate BEFORE gearing up, as I have made this mistake twice now, derp.
Once you're in the water, make your way over to the small rocky island bearing our lovely flag, and descend along its right side. Make your way gradually deeper, enjoying the reefs and rocks. We usually dive to about 90 fsw, where there is a great possibility of finding our friends GPO and Wolf eel, and lots of big lings and rockfish too.
This site is notable for the insane amount of Nudibranchs you will find in the shallow while doing you safety stop. Some the size of a mouse, it's awesome

Martin's Cove
Turn off Highway 101 at Francis Peninsula Rd. It's a long windy one, but keep going to almost the very end, where you'll get to Martin Rd, and the small cove with a steep trail leading down to it. park at the top near the fire hydrant (don't block it of course) and gear up at your vehicle before walking down to the beach.
The right side of the cove is the only side I've dove, and it's an excellent intermediate wall dive. Make your way out and around the point. Winter visibility here was ridiculous (literally >100 feet) and the wall is quite deep, so make sure your buoyancy is dialed in!

I am checking out another little cove on Francis Peninsula this Sunday. If you have any further questions, let me know!

Awesome! Thanks.

I did my OW near Seshelt (Cal & Ann's first place) in 2001 and loved it. Went back to their new place by the gov't dock in Sechelt many times over the years. Awesome sites, awesome diving.

I'm over near Nanaimo now, so haven't been across the strait for some time. I suppose I should make another trip soon.

Doing my first dive on the Sunshine Coast at the end of May with the dive locker. Can’t wait.

Doing my first dive on the Sunshine Coast at the end of May with the dive locker. Can’t wait.

Most likely Tuwanek, and probably will be doing the right island then, as that's the only one I've seen them ever do.

Vis can be VERY poor towards the right island especially, as there is a creek that empties right there, and in the spring, the glacier water is pouring into the inlet right there. Be prepared for super cold temperatures near the creek. (Like 36-40 F) and crap vis. For some reason, they don't do the Left island it seems.

Mmm bemy first dive after I do my advanced in early May. Don’t mind cold. It be my 19-20 dive. Hope to go back with out a shop one day and do 3 dives in a day.

Mmm bemy first dive after I do my advanced in early May. Don’t mind cold. It be my 19-20 dive. Hope to go back with out a shop one day and do 3 dives in a day.

Air fills are available in Sechelt from Sea Dog Diver's Den if you need them!

Back
Top Bottom