Florida Dive & Dive Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just got back from Cozumel, but the Great Lakes are & will be cold for a while, so I’m now thinking about a Florida dive trip. Especially, if I was to get my AOW certification, which I want to get, as well as some good Florida coast diving. From what I’ve read the Palm Beach area might be a good area to focus on. If I was to fly into Orlando, I might even squeeze in an EPCOT tank dive, which is on my bucket list.

For this trip, May is a good month for me and I’d be flying down by myself for this little adventure, since flights are cheap. My objective for this trip is to get my AOW and the most quality dive time for practice of what I’ve learned out my dollar. This trip is more limited by dollars than time away from home.

Anybody have any thoughts and/or recommendations on a trip itinerary, AOW instructors, charter boat operators and even places to stay that fit this objective? Can’t wait to hear your suggestions!!!

The Super 8 hotel in North Palm beach is a safe clean and inexpensive place just 10 minutes from most of the WPB charters. On the other hand,,,AirBnb has lately been very competitive if you take the time to look for good deals. Water temps on Saturday were 74, viz was 60ft and just 1 knot of north current. It's a 2:15 hr drive from Disney to WPB and a couple of dollars in tolls for the turnpike, but a simple drive I do almost every week.

Thanks @Johnoly! Good suggestion to use AirBnb, much appreciated.

Anybody else have input on AOW instructors, charter boat operators and even an intenary.

I’ve got three on my radar so far from my limited web research.

#1: South Florida Diving in Pompano Beach
#2: The Scuba Club in Rivera Beach
#3: Eastern Academy of Scuba Education in Vero Beach

.... This trip is more limited by dollars...

In Jupiter you cant go wrong with Jupiter Dive Center.
West Palm Beach I recommend Narcosis, Pura Vida, and Force-E..

However if you're looking for the most economic and just a bunch of diving, Rainbow Reef Dive Center in Key Largo is hard to beat.. AOW for $370 includes instructor, boat charter, elearning and tanks.

They also have great hotel combination packages..
If you fly into Ft Laud airport, Key Largo is just about 1 1/2 drive south..

Whatever you choose, enjoy!!!

More good suggestions from @PoolsOpen! Do you or others think the diving opportunities in the Key Largo area would be better for me than the Palm Beach area, as originally proposed?

I ask this question, because this will be my first diving focused Florida trip, and I’d like to enjoy the diversity and best of Florida....... while also getting quality AOW instruction.

I wouldnt say one is better over the other.
I would say they are different.

Key Largo has a bunch of pretty fish, interesting reefs(30 ft or so), and large deep wrecks(100 ft). At Rainbow Reef the boats will be full and a lot of tourists.(Not neccesarily a bad thing)..
If you're traveling alone and have limited experience, its great for diving because there will be a guide for every group of 6 or so divers. The guide will ask each diver for how much gas they have throughout the dive. They try to come up with the entire group once someone is low on gas. You will see small to medium sized turtles, nurse sharks, and occasional reef shark..

In Jupiter the reefs are deeper (70 -80 ft) more linear, and have current, so even the wrecks are done as a drift dive.. Again, this is not a bad thing because once you get used to drift diving it is quite enjoyable. You will have the opportunity to see larger loggerhead turtles, reef sharks and lemon sharks, goliath groupers, and some nice schools of tropical fish as well.
The guides will be one or two per boat and are there to help in locating the reef. They will not ask how much air you have throughout the dive or baby you. You can follow them and when you decide to go up, just go up with your buddy, shoot your smb, and the boat will pick you up.
Due to the depths Nitrox is highly recommended.

Of course if you're doing AOW or any other class then you will be with an instructor. I just mentioned the above in case you want to do more dives once you complete AOW class.
The above comments are just to offer a general idea between Jupiter and Key Largo.. YMMV..
I enjoy them both..

@drrich2 posted very detailed trip reports on this site regarding both Jupiter Dive Center and Rainbow Reef. They are on point. I dont know how to attach the link but if you search they contain great info..

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom