Actual experience getting service on "internet only" regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbs

Contributor
Reaction score
So I dropped my regs off for servicing yesterday and the tech kinda looked at them and said - you know this stuff is getting kind of old and the cost of servicing could almost buy you a new setup... I'm probably not going to replace them today, but to be honest I have been thinking about it. I have been following the latest darling manufacturer on SB with interest. So my question is - if you have bought equipment, specifically regulators from an online only manufacturer what has your experience been getting service? Both locally and when traveling. Are lds hesitant to service a reg brand they do not sell? If traveling and you have an issue and you hand the tech your reg and a set of repair parts are you likely to get it fixed? Any of you folks actually gone through these scenarios?

So I dropped my regs off for servicing yesterday and the tech kinda looked at them and said - you know this stuff is getting kind of old and the cost of servicing could almost buy you a new setup...

Find a new tech. Why would a service cost as much as a new set?

Are lds hesitant to service a reg brand they do not sell?

Yes, there are plenty of threads on this. Some shops may accept the regulators and send them off to a 3rd party repair center.

If traveling and you have an issue and you hand the tech your reg and a set of repair parts are you likely to get it fixed?

This is YMMV. If you have a typical regulator a tech should have no problem fixing it. If you have something unusual like a Poseidon, then you may have difficulty.

There is no "one size fits all" rule. Many shops, including me, will not work on a brand for which they have no manufacturer specific training, manuals, parts, authorization, and resource/contacts for questions that arise. If you bring me a brand I don't service, I will get it to someone who does, and is trained, authorized, etc.

Now if an online brand is willing to freely provide me the same support and authorization for a brand I don't sell, I would have no problem with that.

But many will NOT just plan to figure it out as they go no matter what the item.

I found a reg technician online, through Ebay. I purchased several 1st and 2nd stage regs from him, he sells them all recently serviced and inspected with ratings as to appearance, functionality, IP, etc. Prices range from about $30 on up. He not only services the regs he sells but anything you want to send his way, for about $35 including return shipping. If anyone wants his contact info then feel free to message me.

$35 for service? Per stage or the complete reg and does this include parts? If it does, he is either not using OEM parts or not replacing parts at all since an average service kit is in the $25-40 range. If it's $35 per stage plus parts, that is what a reputable shop charges.

$35 for service? Per stage or the complete reg and does this include parts? If it does, he is either not using OEM parts or not replacing parts at all since an average service kit is in the $25-40 range. If it's $35 per stage plus parts, that is what a reputable shop charges.

Yes $35 per stage (or a bit more but not much depending on the regulator) including parts. He's got a stellar Ebay seller rating of 100% with over 1800 transactions and has always done right by me.

specifically regulators from an online only manufacturer

Which manufacture(s) sells only online?

So I dropped my regs off for servicing yesterday and the tech kinda looked at them and said - you know this stuff is getting kind of old and the cost of servicing could almost buy you a new setup...

What reg do you have that is so old. I find it hard the cost to service it is similar to that of a new reg; unless there is an extreme amount of work that needs to be done? I charge the same rate to service both older and newer regs. Wonder why you were quoted a higher for an older reg.

if you have bought equipment, specifically regulators from an online only manufacturer

As with JackD, if I don't have the manufacturer's authorization to service I simply send it to someone whom I know can.

I have had one case in which a customer brought in a reg in that I couldn't id in terms of brand or model. After some research I found out it was sold by a shop in CA that made it and only that shop could service it. The customer was annoyed that he had to send it to that one place.

What you have to decide, if you purchase any equipment with that stipulation, is it truly worth it.

Good luck.

I had some work done on my reg that is sold online only. the tech was making fun of the reg and was not happy to see it, but he still worked on it and the charge was reasonable. I could have also sent it back to the company and received free service. Of course the reg comes with spare set of parts and the service manual is online for free, so I really do not have patience for any LDS that does not want to service it.

Find a new tech. Why would a service cost as much as a new set?

Yes, there are plenty of threads on this. Some shops may accept the regulators and send them off to a 3rd party repair center.

This is YMMV. If you have a typical regulator a tech should have no problem fixing it. If you have something unusual like a Poseidon, then you may have difficulty.
He was exaggerating a bit and he said "almost." I don't have the receipt in front of me so I don't recall the quote. I trust this guy. He works for one of the big internet retailers and has always been good to us. It really wasn't a hard sell or anything like that, just a friendly suggestion.

Which manufacture(s) sells only online?

What reg do you have that is so old. I find it hard the cost to service it is similar to that of a new reg; unless there is an extreme amount of work that needs to be done? I charge the same rate to service both older and newer regs. Wonder why you were quoted a higher for an older reg.

As with JackD, if I don't have the manufacturer's authorization to service I simply send it to someone whom I know can.

I have had one case in which a customer brought in a reg in that I couldn't id in terms of brand or model. After some research I found out it was sold by a shop in CA that made it and only that shop could service it. The customer was annoyed that he had to send it to that one place.

What you have to decide, if you purchase any equipment with that stipulation, is it truly worth it.

Good luck.
I am trying to not make this thread specific to a particular manufacturer... Pretty sure most folks on SB know who I am talking about :wink: I have a 15 year old Mares. Not sure where you got that the quote was higher for an older than newer reg. I certainly didn't say that. Other than the usual servicing I asked to replace the hose to one of the 2nd's. I do not expect any significant work will be needed. Both 2nd's were free flowing a little, but the ip was fine.

So yea, the point of this thread is to find out how folks are making out with this type of reg. I assume most are servicing themselves or shipping it to the manufacturer directly. Repair while traveling is the real wild card. But I suppose if you have a significant issue while traveling using a rental is always an option if no one will touch it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom