Trip Video - Raja Ampat, Mar/Apr 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love starting with view of Nubi Island. Thanks for the video. Great walking Frog Fish. Was there last Nov-Dec.

Rob

Ah... the Indo Siren!! It was 7 long years ago when we spent 10 amazing days onboard!
How is she holding up??

Did you just do a back to back trip? One on the Blue Manta and then on the Siren??

How would you compare the two?

Ah... the Indo Siren!! It was 7 long years ago when we spent 10 amazing days onboard!
How is she holding up??

Did you just do a back to back trip? One on the Blue Manta and then on the Siren??

How would you compare the two?
Yes, back to back but with one night in Sorong in between.

The Siren creaks more than other wooden boats that I have been on such as the Pindito and the Raja Laut. The sound effect at the very beginning of the video was recorded from my cabin of the Siren creaking whilst anchored. Her top speed during the voyage must have been about 6 knots. Our last dive was at Sondarek Jetty in the Dampier straits. We must have been out of the water by 11:30am and would have headed to Sorong soon after. We arrived at around 7pm if my memory serves me. To me, she is too slow and this has consequences. For example, you don’t get to choose your in water time slot if you are not first at the dive sites. Also, a slow creaky boat is also not ideal for light sleepers.

No contest between the Blue Manta and the Indo Siren. To me, Blue Manta...

Ye thought as much.
The wooden boats have a bit more "romantic" appeal, but they do definitely have draw backs.
The blue manta is a great looking boat!
We did that return trip in a solid 2-3m swell...it was quite a wild ride, lets say we got back to Sorong well after dark.

@CWK If your still using a Gopro 6 (I think) could you list the camera parameters and if your using a filter? I have a 6 and have white balance issues (color changes during a single video), especially when a red filter (Backscatter) is used. Without the red filter the white balance does not appear to cause color changes during a video. I have the white balance set to auto. I also use two 1200 lumen lights without a filter.

@CWK If your still using a Gopro 6 (I think) could you list the camera parameters and if your using a filter? I have a 6 and have white balance issues (color changes during a single video), especially when a red filter (Backscatter) is used. Without the red filter the white balance does not appear to cause color changes during a video. I have the white balance set to auto. I also use two 1200 lumen lights without a filter.
I've moved on from GP6 to GP7 for the hyperstabilisation. As far as I can recall, I used the same settings in both. My current GP7 settings are:
Low light: auto
Protune: on
Shutter: auto
EV Comp: 0
White Balance: auto
Iso Min: 100
Iso Max: 1600
Sharpness: low
Colour: GoPro

I do not use filters.

@CWK Are you using any kind of macro lens for the closer ups in your video?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom