Trip Report Trip Report-Philippines-Puerto Galera-El Galleon/Asia Divers-April 1-14, 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Day 6 saw another shift in the weather- we are back to high winds and corresponding surface current and chop. Visibility in the 45 foot range but less algae bloom, which makes visibility much better. Dive one was at Coral Gardens, which was where we did our first dive of the trip. This was a completely different dive however. The current was going in the opposite direction and we had to improvise underwater and go with it. As a result, it turned into a bit of an unplanned muck dive in the sand for the most part—Upside is that we found some seahorses and I got some good pictures. Dive two had us stay out of the wind and current within the Sabang Bay. It was a very pleasant dive with two new Nudibranch finds.

Afternoon conditions were about the same in terms of wind. We did find a great dive spot that was basically current free and had 60 foot visibility though. We dropped in at West Escarceo and instead of going toward the point and Hole in the Wall, we went the other direction and had a nice 70 minute dive between 75 and 25 feet and found a couple of new nudibranchs and pretty Angelfish.

Decided to skip dive 4 today and get a little rest before the last push of diving through Saturday. We took a stroll into downtown Sabang to check things out and have dinner away from the resort and try something new. We ended up at the Atlantis Dive Resort and their Toko’s restaurant. Food was pretty good. Wife had a Greek salad and a plate of Spaghetti Aglio Olio. They had some Mexican on the menu and that sounded good, so I had the chicken burrito, which tasted more Asian than Mexican- but was good. Portions were pretty small.

We belong to a Pacific NW dive club of friends that is planning to stay there for a week in February 2021. We wanted to do this trip and get a feel for everything before committing to that trip. I love the diving and the whole vibe here and would like to come back—particularly with this group of friends. However, I am not so sure about coming in February when the water temps are likely to be in the lower to mid 70’s and the topside conditions less predictable. The reason for the February time frame is that it is being combined with a week in Raja Ampat and February is optimal for there. I also would be reluctant to not dive with Asia Divers. I love their whole setup and having the pier to board the boats is so convenient and the food at El Galleon is definitely better based on what we had and what we saw come out to the other tables. The resort itself, the accommodations, the pool and ambience is much more upscale than El Galleon though- and the commensurate price tag that goes with it. That trip is 1 week in Puerto Galera and 1 week in Dumaguete with Atlantis.
Decisions, decisions…

Weather permitting, we have a group of 10 that want to get out to Verde Island on Thursday. We'd love to get back out there one more time. Fingers crossed.

upload_2019-4-9_19-56-6.png

Funeral Jorunna

Wishing you Verde luck.
Don’t forget to support the local economy by buying handmade baskets from the ladies out front. They make great luggage tags too from embroidery thread. Have you seen the guy who sells pool cues with decorative inlay?
So nice to read your informed reaction to one of my favourite places.

I've stayed and dived with Atlantis once and while the rooms are more unique, they were charging twice the price compared to Asia Divers 5 years ago for the same diving, plus they're food was a bit repetitive after day 3 and no partial board was being offered.

Asia Divers / El Galeon is a better option IMHO

If you feel up to it walk towards the main south/north road in Sabang. Just before you get to that intersection is a deli on the left. They usually have great iced cinnamon buns for 60 pesos. They also sell deli meats, cheese and buns if you want an inexpensive change from restaurant food.

Great report , so interesting to hear what you are getting up to and seeing. Thanks very much for posting. Re February , I get more leave than my husband and usually drag myself away from work and the searing heat of the UK , to an Asia drive trip. I have basically given up on the Philipines in February , it’s too cold. Anilao in February was just 25 degrees, just about bearable for two dives but no more than that which was a shame. I have had great luck since then with weather and visibility and diving in Bali , Lembongan and Lembeh in February.

Enjoy the last of your diving !

I've stayed and dived with Atlantis once and while the rooms are more unique, they were charging twice the price compared to Asia Divers 5 years ago for the same diving, plus they're food was a bit repetitive after day 3 and no partial board was being offered.

Asia Divers / El Galleon is a better option IMHO
Concur-- Only reason I would consider Atlantis is to be doing the trip with good friends. After sleeping on it, my wife and I decided that we'd rather come back here to El Galleon and Asia Divers in late April or May. Just feels like family here. We did tour one of the rooms at Atlantis and whereas the room has a more modern feel, it was actually even smaller than our current poolside room at El Galleon and has even less space for storage of bags and clothing, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom