Introducing the Inflatable DIve Platform

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you need to say what size flag so people know if meets local regulations
i can tell from looking at it that it won't meet the flag requirment in MA

$300 - are you $h1tt1ng me?

LMAO

@Kharon , please tell us what you really think...

To OP, maybe add a video of the product in use. That would be a good way to demonstrate stability. That plus the additional suggestions already mentioned :)

@Rollin Bonz

I recall it was P T Barnum who was credited with stating:

You can fool some of the people
some of the time....

but not all of the people all of the time....

It is my opinion this item appears to have very little use in the current diving world...I suspect @Kharon will agree

For what application would you use it ?

Sam Miller, III.

Dunno, that seems pretty well designed and implemented. Good for shore divers who want boat visibility, good place to store stuff that you might neither want to carry back to the shore or dive with - plenty of places to clip things off securely (e.g. extra weights, deco/stage bottles, cameras, etc...). Good for free divers who want to have stuff with them but not carry it, for occasional use (extra bands, cameras, etc..)

In a sport where people spend $1400 for a flashlight, or an extra $300 so that your wing will have an "H" on it, spending $300 for something large, durable, with good lift that is a significant improvement over a milk crate with an inner tube in it doesn't seem ridiculous on face. There are plenty of ideas where people improved on the implementation of someone else's original concept - iPod, iPhone, etc...

So is the objection to this product that someone thought of it a long time ago?

It's for summer at the lake with kids

My post number 4 to this thread

"I commend you on your float....

I appreciate the dive flag ,- 59 years ago it was officially established at 5 units high X 4 units wide and a 1 unit stripe,, for ease of manufacture the flag is often square- which has been accepted by the dive community.-- so many modern late model tube sucking bubble blowers assume any thing red with some sort of a white stripe is a dive flag--wrong!

The handles appear small and difficult to grasp with a wet cold shivering hand-- enlarge handle openings for ease of grasping

Your concept is about 70 years old - it appears to be a modern expensive version of the inflatable surf mat which appeared after WW 11and is often still available.

In that era of long ago we secured a full length piece of ply wood made numerous attachment points to the surf mat provide a rigidity of the float and to secure equipment such as spear guns ( Oh the Horror- a spear gun !) game bags and often since the diver of that era was free diving and in the water for extended periods occasionally a thermos of a hot beverage

Concurrently divers of that era would encase burlap bags in and innertube to create a float. Dive equipment manufactures later produced a round covering for a innertube floats...…"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was a need 70 or more years ago. American dicers injunity solves the need .

Now a company has resurrected the need/product with an inferior product.

SDM

Go ahead and test market it, you could be pleasantly surprised.
Maybe you can find a customer base who will jump on this.

This being a scuba diving forum don't be shocked when your first feedback is from a strongly opinionated crowd, where first feedback to any new product, technique or idea will be a nearly knee jerk mob of folks telling you why it won't work, how they do it better, how "we never did it that way before", why it does not meet standards, and probably that "it will kill you".

:popcorn:

Make a few and let a few club's or Dive Ops test and review them. If there is nothing about the product that brings added risk to the sport, why not give it a try?

Good luck.

@Rollin Bonz

I recall it was P T Barnum who was credited with stating:

You can fool some of the people
some of the time....

but not all of the people all of the time....

It is my opinion this item appears to have very little use in the current diving world...I suspect @Kharon will agree

For what application would you use it ?

Sam Miller, III.

I wouldn't really have a use for it...

Dunno, that seems pretty well designed and implemented. Good for shore divers who want boat visibility, good place to store stuff that you might neither want to carry back to the shore or dive with - plenty of places to clip things off securely (e.g. extra weights, deco/stage bottles, cameras, etc...). Good for free divers who want to have stuff with them but not carry it, for occasional use (extra bands, cameras, etc..)

In a sport where people spend $1400 for a flashlight, or an extra $300 so that your wing will have an "H" on it, spending $300 for something large, durable, with good lift that is a significant improvement over a milk crate with an inner tube in it doesn't seem ridiculous on face. There are plenty of ideas where people improved on the implementation of someone else's original concept - iPod, iPhone, etc...

So is the objection to this product that someone thought of it a long time ago?

But I think @doctormike's list demonstrates a few possible uses as well as some key points as to why there may be a (niche) market out there for it.

A "pseudo-boat" to provide (minimal) surface storage/support for shore divers ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ?

And the free divers at our local quarry use a similar dohicky from which they hang their descent line...

Oh and this is more portable than a sheet of plywood or a pallet on an inner tube.

I prefer a sit on top kayak. It's a lot more versatile and a shore diver can extend his/her range quite a bit in addition to having a stable platform and storage space. Additionally if one is willing to buy used a sit on top kayak won't cost much more than your platform and it won't puncture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom