How reliable is the Suunto Transmitter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Suunto Transmitter is "fairly reliable" with a few annoyances that can render it useless if you're not careful.

I find similar annoyances but under different circumstances.

1) Won't Sync - If I don't pre-synch it ( enter dive mode on computer and turn on tank before diving) it won't synch and says FAIL.
I am suspicious that someone on the boat may be using a similar computer on the SAME channel, as
when I surface, if I change channels, it synchs and reads correctly.
2) Time out - Even if I pre-synch it, as in (1), if it is too long before I enter the water, and I timeout of DIVE mode and ENTER into say TIME mode, I have what appears to be a 50/50 chane of it sych-ing and transmitting the air pressure. Because of this, I cannot trust it and must always carry an analog SPG or risk going back on the bost (abort dive) or diving with the Divemaster's stats.
Surely I cannot dive on my own+buddy (not with a group) and have the confidence that my TX will always work.
3) Can't ffix it once I am underwater - Because of the 'safety features' it does not allow me to re-pair it underwater. I find this annoying, as I would think that re-pairing it and getting SOME reading of air would be better than NONE.
Yes, I dive with a backup analog gauge, but having the SUUNTO S/W PREVENT me from fixing the issue is not the right answer.
4) EST AIR - I DO like the abillityof the computer, when it works, to give me an estimate of my available dive air time, based on my breathing patters from today and a few days prior.

I have a Eon Core with transmitter. I have used used for about nine months and in excess of 50 dives. It has been flawless. I tend to be one of the slower ones gearing up so I try to get to the site at least an hour prior to the dive to gear up. As such, my computer has timed out many times (not just screen saving mode - it has to boot) prior to waling into the water. Never a hiccup in terms of connecting - regardless of the order that I use to turn things on. Not sure if it is because the core is a more recent iteration or what, but I am loving the AI feature and the Core ain't bad either. I like it better than my Petrel that I now use for backup.

Having said that, I also use an SPG. I took it off for convenience once when travelling and liked the configuration so much that I left it off when I got back. However, one weekend, I showed up at the beach without the Core. Normally, not a problem, just use my backup computer - but lacking an SPG, I had to make the drive of shame back home :).

The only problem I have with the Core is the moisture sensor used to turn the unit on is very sensitive - I have showed up at the beach only to find that the Core is dead - some moisture found its way into the case and across the contacts, draining the battery.

Back
Top Bottom