Trilobites, do you really need one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given a choice of only one, I would say go with a ceramic line cutter, sharp forever, small and cheap to buy.

Just a note to say that ceramic blades tend to be brittle and chip, they also tend to be more expensive to replace. While in theory they will hold an edge longer than a metal blade, the reality is that a metal blade tends to be more durable.

YMMV.

-Z

Just a note to say that ceramic blades tend to be brittle and chip, they also tend to be more expensive to replace. While in theory they will hold an edge longer than a metal blade, the reality is that a metal blade tends to be more durable.

YMMV.

-Z
Yes, metal is more durable, but how much maintenance do you want to do on an item that may get used once a year? Ceramic cutters won’t rust with repeated exposure to saltwater. Mine is attached to my BCD and just gets left in situ until needed, no special rinses or inspections. I check it is there pre-dive and post dive.

Yes, metal is more durable, but how much maintenance do you want to do on an item that may get used once a year? Ceramic cutters won’t rust with repeated exposure to saltwater. Mine is attached to my BCD and just gets left in situ until needed, no special rinses or inspections. I check it is there pre-dive and post dive.

That's actually a great point; since we're discussing Trilobites, we should touch on maintenance.

I've had mine for quite a while, with frequent diving, but have zero rust. When I get home, the Trilobite gets soaked in fresh water with everything else. After air drying, I open it up, remove the blade, and wipe down with some Alcohol to evaporate any leftover water. Then, here's the kicker, I apply a very light coat of silicon grease (same as used on o-rings). Not only will it not rust in the tropical environment here, but I imagine it creates a barrier to most seawater contact unless it is actually cutting (therefore removing the grease).

It only takes a few moments and a little maintenance goes a long way. :wink:

That's actually a great point; since we're discussing Trilobites, we should touch on maintenance.

I've had mine for quite a while, with frequent diving, but have zero rust. When I get home, the Trilobite gets soaked in fresh water with everything else. After air drying, I open it up, remove the blade, and wipe down with some Alcohol to evaporate any leftover water. Then, here's the kicker, I apply a very light coat of silicon grease (same as used on o-rings). Not only will it not rust in the tropical environment here, but I imagine it creates a barrier to most seawater contact unless it is actually cutting (therefore removing the grease).

It only takes a few moments and a little maintenance goes a long way. :wink:

I dive only fresh water and don't do anything to mine. No rust.

Ah nice! :thumb:I am probably too picky about my maintenance, but hey, it's an investment I want to last as long as possible.

Ah nice! :thumb:I am probably too picky about my maintenance, but hey, it's an investment I want to last as long as possible.
They are pretty bomb proof. I dive in pretty salty conditions, and in the Middle East with lots of heat and humidity things rust. I leave my cutter in teh pouch on my computer so it only gets the occasional rinse. Yes the blade rusts, but I get at least a year out of mine - maybe 18 months (150-200 dives)before I need to change the blade. So 3 years before I need to get replacement blades or choose to buy a new cutter. I'd say that's pretty good value for money

considering the thousands of dollars spent on gear, a $20+/- line cutter is not even a blink on the radar, but available as a cutting device makes it's value priceless...

I put ceramics on our travel gear, and have steel on our home kits. Probably have 10-15 of them on various pieces of gear.

They are pretty bomb proof. I dive in pretty salty conditions, and in the Middle East with lots of heat and humidity things rust. I leave my cutter in teh pouch on my computer so it only gets the occasional rinse. Yes the blade rusts, but I get at least a year out of mine - maybe 18 months (150-200 dives)before I need to change the blade. So 3 years before I need to get replacement blades or choose to buy a new cutter. I'd say that's pretty good value for money
But then you obviously aren't an OCD-type knife person.

Me, I get the willies just by seeing a rusted blade. So my trilobite has ceramic blades. My knives are rinsed down, dried and given a slight sheen of silicone grease. If they develop rust spots, that's dealt with with a scouring pad.

Ceramic blades on cutters that are supposed to save your life sound like a really bad idea. So easy to chip them on debris stuck in the line or nets, and then good luck cutting trough anything.
Rusty metal blades on a trilobite will still slice trough anything.

upload_2019-4-10_8-49-3.png
upload_2019-4-10_8-49-21.png

Back
Top Bottom