Student aquarium diver bitten by shark - China

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read the report to imply this was a first dive for the group. Maybe DSD? Regardless, I gathered she was a novice diver. In that case an instructor seems partially to blame.
Something like that, but based on the report - she ignored the rules & warnings, did what she wanted, and he didn't want to piss off the rich tourist and lose a tip.

DandyDon, did we read the same article?

It certainly does sounds like a DSD type situation. I don't think DSDs that are intended to do stuff like that (anything with a higher danger profile or needs extra concentration to do) should be allowed. DSDs should be for a basic introduction to scuba, and all your thoughts and energy need to be focused on that and making sure you are safe there. Purposefully going into sharks or dolphins or a wreck or anything like that, it just seems like an accident waiting to happen. If you want to do that, you could put people in a cage (even if the sharks are typically not aggressive, people who are working on buoyancy and all the other skills can't be expected to do that.

Task loading is such a huge issue. When I tried to do my dives for the navigation class, I almost immediately called it and said I'd have to do my dives for that later when I had more experience. I was too task loaded to be able to figure out navigation as well as everything else (still a novice) I didn't even really grok what people meant by it until I was overloaded.

Scuba needs to be taken more seriously as a danger.

Doesn't say it's a DSD. Says its a Level 1 dive lesson. This could just as easily be a free diving class and not necessarily a scuba class. After all, she darted towards the shark, so some said.

I've seen a few DSD or try dive classes and I've never seen anything like that.

I hate speculating but perhaps this level 1 is an "experience dive" like many aquarium dives where you book a time slot, watch an e learning video, have a mini dsd and have to demonstrate breathing in and out and clearing mask in a pool before going into the aquarium usually overweighted as hell. I hate to think the chasing of shark and excitement of touching it may be a cultural thing, but it's not without possibility. A harassed shark in a confined environment doesn't have hands to slap you with.

Level 1 dive seems like a DSD to me too - it could be a translation thing.

It’s not a cultural thing. More likely than not, it’s a “nouveau riche stupidity thing.”

"Doesn't have hands to slap you with" especially if she bumps right into his teeth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom