Where should we eat in Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divetech Cayman

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Scubaboard!

Grand Cayman is not only known for its stellar diving, but also for its diverse culinary scene. When guests look online for restaurants, it’s almost overwhelming to try and decide where to eat. It’s therefore no surprise that one of the most commonly asked questions of our staff is “Where should we go to eat?”

We get this question so often, we decided to make a blog post about it. All of our staff members were polled, and asked them what their favorite restaurants were, and why. It's worth noting all of these establishments are on the west side of Grand Cayman, so if you are looking for restaurants on the east side of the island, it's best to ask the staff at Ocean Frontiers. :-D

So if you are interested, read the rest of our article and staff pics here.

Tony

@Divetech Cayman Tony, that is a very helpful article for folks visiting the West End. Thanks for posting. I know and agree with a few of those restaurants, but will look into some of your suggestions that we have not tried, on future visits. Since we do mainly stay in Boddentown or the East End, we have sorted out our favorites there. Looking forward to checking out your suggestions.

Always good to hear from a local source, thanks!
To add a few to your list, we have always like the place next door to Catch, Calypso Grill. Also, Pappagallo is very good for Italian. Of course, burger king is always there for those on a budget:facepalm:

Morgan’s!

some of our favorites:

upscale:

Pappagallo - great Italian and fish
Catch - great fish
Calypso Grill - one of our favorite favorites - everyting is good
Wharf - good food and deck overlooks Georgetown harbor
Grand Old House - just a bit east of town -excellent food
Luca
Cracked Conch - the upscale part of Macabuca

Other:
Casa 43 - great Mexican
Macbuca - our go-to place for a good casual meal. All you can eat buffet is pretty good.
Ragazzi - good Italian food and pretty good fish
Pepper's - I think their steamed in foil fish is some of the best on the island
Southern Spice - great Indian food and really pleasant owner and staff
Rackam's - similar to Macabuca

Vegan:
VIVO is great and they also serve lionfish, which presumably has been reclassified as a vegetable - and they give our dog treats and his own water bowl. If you don't eat vegan, this place will convert you.
Island Naturals for a less expensive more casual veg meal
Bread and Chocolate - located in town - we really like this place for breakfast

Breakfast:
Sunshine Grill - we seem to go here a lot, especially as we can take our dog

Cheap eats:
Burger Shack when you need that burger fix (I don't eat anything on 4 legs, but everyone we've taken here says the burgers are great)

A La Kebab - next door to Burger Shack. I go here for a good quick take-away

Cimboco - in same strip mall as Burger Shack and Ala Kebab.

Chicken! Chicken! - for your jerk chicken fix - also rotisserie chicken. This may be my favorite cheap eats place

West Bay Diner - try Chef Leo's specialty - cows hoofs - if you dare

Paperman's - for good sandwiches

Vivene's Kitchen (on the far east side) - You order at Vivene's back door and eat in her yard overlooking the ocean. Forget the menu on a board outside her back door and just order whatever fish she has that day.

Spread - next to Margaritaville - another good sandwich place.

In general, it is hard to find any place that does not serve at least very good food, except
Calico Jack's, which is good for a drink, but I would not eat there (after trying the food a few times). You will almost never see the locals eating there - just drinking. And any place that, when you order a beer, they give you a can and don't even open it is my type of bar.

If you have a kitchen where you are staying, buy some fresh fish off the boat at the day boat market under the tents just past Casanova in town (Casanova has pretty good traditional Italian food, but we prefer Ragazzi or Pappagallo). They will sell it whole, cut it into steaks or filet it for you while you wait. Hours and selection is a bit unpredictable, though, but they always seem to have snapper.

Now I'm hungry.

It's by Chef Eric Rippert at the Ritz- Carlton.
You've sort of got to expect that from a Michelin 3* rated chef.

Awesome list Tony. We love Morgans too. New options by next year at The Grove as well!!! We didn’t know about the Japanese restaurant!!! Saw the Unisphere on Monday!!

There are so many good places to eat here. This list was simply the highest ranked by our staff, so inevitably some great places to eat didn't make the list, and certainly some places I love to eat at personally.

I like a good Indian dish, and felt Southern Spice should make the list. And for amazing breakfast sandwiches and burgers, Seven Mile Burger as well. I could list another 10 favorites of mine. But we had to narrow it down, or it just became a list of restaurants, and not staff picks.

In general, it is hard to find any place that does not serve at least very good food...

One of the other reasons we started this list, was because we consistently saw a particular restaurant recommended. I won't mention the name, but of the 10-15 times our staff has (collectively) eaten there, no one ever seemed to care for it. I personally have been to some places I'd never go back to for their poor food or poor service.

... except Calico Jack's, which is good for a drink, but I would not eat there (after trying the food a few times). You will almost never see the locals eating there - just drinking. And any place that, when you order a beer, they give you a can and don't even open it is my type of bar.

In 3 years here, I can honestly say I have never eaten there, nor do I know anyone who has. We added it to the 'drinks on the beach' section because we get asked for that quite a bit. People love the atmosphere there.

Tony

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom