"Flippers, goggles, oxygen tank" -- cringeworthy, or useful??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A rope is a rope only when on land... once on, or in, the water it is a line:p

It's rope when on the spool. It becomes a line, rode, halyard, etc. when it is given a designated task on a boat.

Beat me to it. Of course we could talk about the BM2 that beat it into me with a fid.

What about the term SCUBA ? as in SCUBA Diving ?

Healthways, ScubaPro or thereabouts.

Bob

wonder how "gear" became dominant in the US for "diving equipment"? Same question for "kit" in the UK.
Don't you 'murricans say "kitting up"? I've never heard, read or seen the term "gearing up", at least not when the meaning is "putting on your scuba gear"

Don't you 'murricans say "kitting up"?

Rarely if ever.

I've never heard, read or seen the term "gearing up", at least not when the meaning is "putting on your scuba gear"

Gear up is pretty common in the military. There is a variant used in a popular TV Drama, "Grab your gear". The guy that says it in almost every episode plays a retired Marine.

@Bob DBF
posted
"Sam Miller III said:
What about the term SCUBA ? as in SCUBA Diving ?
Healthways, ScubaPro or thereabouts."
Bob
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Heathways under the aggressive president Richard :Dick: Klein copywrited the WW 11 term "SCUBA" developed by Dr. Chris Lambertsen for his LARU apparatus ( I had a number of conversations with him )

But there was self contained diving long before Dick resurrected the acronym SCUBA

It all began in the around 160 years ago in the 1860s with the unit developed and dove by the Frenchmen Benoît Rouquayrol & Auguste Denayrouze
Do you know the name of that unit?

Or the ones that followed R & D ?

So many names before the acronym SCUBA was universally adapted

Warm sunny very bright in CenCal - hat and sun glasses required today

Sam

Bob

Same question for "kit" in the UK. The common denominator is a single syllable word that was hijacked from the language long before SCUBA was developed.

Kit was in common usage in the British army in 1890 when Kipling wrote "Tommy", excerpted below:

Yes, makin' mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep
Is cheaper than them uniforms, an' they're starvation cheap;
An' hustlin' drunken soldiers when they're goin' large a bit
Is five times better business than paradin' in full kit.

Then it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' ``Tommy how's yer soul?''
But it's ``Thin red line of 'eroes'' when the drums begin to roll,
The drums begin to roll, my boys, the drums begin to roll,
O it's ``Thin red line of 'eroes'' when the drums begin to roll.

Just worked itself into common usage when the boys came home, same as a number of words that moved into common American usage, which may include gear, as something other than one of a set of toothed wheels.

Bob

Don't you 'murricans say "kitting up"? I've never heard, read or seen the term "gearing up", at least not when the meaning is "putting on your scuba gear"
Gear up and gearing up are common west of the Atlantic. Telling somebody to "gear up" is common with SCUBA gear.

It's not just SCUBA kit. My UK cousins talk about getting their soccer kit together (boots, gloves for goalies, etc.) or other sporting "kit."

@Bob DBF I love the Kipling reference. You're a better man than I am.... :wink:

And that great American Cowboy John Wayne from Iowa who lived in Newport Beach California always said
"Saddle up"
Just like a true Texican
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
but the question that requires and answer is
Around 160 years ago in the 1860s with the unit that was developed and dove buy the Frenchmen Benoît Rouquayrol & Auguste Denayrouze

Do you know the name of that unit?

Or the ones that followed R & D ?

Not like the 600 pound GSB of Catalina dive park

SDM

Kit is common in Canada as well

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom