Scubapro MK20 upgrade to MK25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The upgrade is DEFINITELY worth it!!

I tend to disagree. The range of adjustment is really not all that beneficial. As an example, we had a MK-25 with an IP of 150 (no shims). The adjustment screw was incapable of dropping to 135.... I have also found a MK-25 that the screw could only increase IP from the starting position, so again not beneficial....

I really can't say is it a "must have" upgrade....

maybe on the new EVO they are doing things differently regarding the springs and the spring "housing" which is essentially a shim that raises IP (perhaps they are using a spring that is different).

I am a tech on a bunch of brands but nothing piston. I work on my own regs and adjust and check my own IP etc. I'm sure I can find a manual and tear this reg down but I would rather not because I have never worked on a piston before and am unfamiliar with the tribal knowledge of assembly and tuning one. Especially if it requires the shims... I also don't believe I have any tools that would work on SP. Again, I am not really a SP guy (no hate just haven't really used or sold them). IDK what the upgrade is really if you would be so kind as to enlighten me... Thank you
Interesting, all reg clinics I've ever attended has been brand specific, not diaphragm vs piston oriented.
Thanks for that info!!! I checked and the saddle has indeed been upgraded. It does not have the external IP adjustment so I guess the only other thing to check would be the piston. Thanks again!
This answers your own question above, the upgrade is the external IP adjustment.
Piston upgrade??? Understand that once SP changes a part like that, spring for example, and its backwards compatible, the production on the older ones stops, in other words, if you were to need a new piston or spring, you'd be getting the newest one, the spring in this case would be the blue one, it won't make your reg 1/2 EVO, it's not an upgrade, that part is just replaced with what is currently produced.
The S600 also went through several changes/upgrades. You'll need to check on that.
Check on what? What's there to checked? You make it sound like there's NEEDED changes to be made
No shims are used with a MK25.
I'm not sure you meant to say that, but the way its worded it is most definitely wrong information, you MAY not need shim on a MK25, but most actually do have at least one shim
The upgrade is DEFINITELY worth it!!
I agree with rhwestfall, it only has meaning for a reg tech, which isn't even a big deal, the only time I ever touch the IP adjustment is during service, if I need to adjust IP, it's a sure sign I need service, and thats what I'd do then, and in this case I'd DEFINITELY NOT have a necessity for the external IP adjustment, necessity is the key word.

couv posted 2 good responses, check it again.

Check on what? What's there to checked? You make it sound like there's NEEDED changes to be made

Nothing is "needed" as much as recommended. Some of it is strongly recommended. The S600 went through upgrades that many find them necessary or very useful for them. One needs to check on what they have in their hands and what is current and understand the "why" for them to decide.

If you don't care or don't find it interesting, forget about it. No one is twisting your arm to do it.

NOTE: Post edited by moderators. References to deleted posts removed.

As a commercial entity Scubapro really has only three reasons to change the internals (not mere cosmetic changes) of a regulator. The first is to improve performance / safety, the second is to make something less expensive to produce or easier to service, the third is to make their product more appealing / competitive. For example, switching from a plastic to a metal air barrel in the S-600 I assume was done to better compete with Apeks that uses a metal air barrel.

Because Scubapro does not always mention why the change was made we are left guessing as to the reason. If the change was made for the first reason, then it is important, especially if safety related, if made for the second reason, it does not matter unless you do home servicing. If made for the third reason, it may be relevant to some.

Besides the cover and the air barrel, what other changes were made to the S-600 over time?

the air barrel WAS metal first then plastic (according to the rep to improve it ) now back to metal because the plastic didn't work it was all about cost

the air barrel WAS metal first then plastic (according to the rep to improve it ) now back to metal because the plastic didn't work it was all about cost

I think you are thinking of the G-250. The original G-250 used a metal barrel. The "improved" G-250 hp used a plastic air barrel (same as the G-500 & S-600). Finally, the G-250 v went back to a metal barrel.

I don't own any S-600, but I do own an an Italian-made G-500. The G-500 was the precursor to the S-600, the only difference was the cover. It has a plastic air barrel.

I believe the official Scubapro reason for the change to plastic was that plastic does not corrode. I agree it was probably a cost issue.

My S555 was plastic, and the upgrade to a S600 needed need to specify it to be metal or the earlier plastic might have been done...

As a commercial entity Scubapro really has only three reasons to change the internals (not mere cosmetic changes) of a regulator. The first is to improve performance / safety, the second is to make something less expensive to produce or easier to service, the third is to make their product more appealing / competitive. For example, switching from a plastic to a metal air barrel in the S-600 I assume was done to better compete with Apeks that uses a metal air barrel.

Because Scubapro does not always mention why the change was made we are left guessing as to the reason. If the change was made for the first reason, then it is important, especially if safety related, if made for the second reason, it does not matter unless you do home servicing. If made for the third reason, it may be relevant to some.

Besides the cover and the air barrel, what other changes were made to the S-600 over time?
Yep, I understand all what you are saying, and that just serves to make my point, it’s complete nonsense to think you’re making improvements to it by swapping some of those parts, read what has been said and you will realize some people here even advocated a downgrade thinking it is an upgrade

The changes over time? Off the top of my head, between all versions, I think the only parts that hasn’t changed are, main body, orifice, diaphragm(both) and maybe lever(?)

I think you are thinking of the G-250. The original G-250 used a metal barrel. The "improved" G-250 hp used a plastic air barrel (same as the G-500 & S-600). Finally, the G-250 v went back to a metal barrel.

I don't own any S-600, but I do own an an Italian-made G-500. The G-500 was the precursor to the S-600, the only difference was the cover. It has a plastic air barrel.

I believe the official Scubapro reason for the change to plastic was that plastic does not corrode. I agree it was probably a cost issue.
The plastic vs metal barrel is likely what gets most people about this “upgrade” thing.
Just to clarify, G250 and S600 uses different barrels, just pointing that out to avoid making conclusions that one material is used on a S600 because of what is used on a G250, different beasts.
Costs? Sure comes into play, but I’d say marketing is the strongest force driving what comes out on the market, stays, gets discontinued and/or never even comes out. The next evolution in the series is the S620, $$titanium$$ barrel.

Not just corrosion, the striction property of the plastic barrel makes it a superior performer over the polished chrome and certainly better than titanium, at least the engineers feels that way, but what do I know?

Back to marketing, now we have the S560 (plastic barrel) and the S600 (metal barrel), it’s the same reg, besides that difference, the S600 has a metal faceplate and a metal ring around the body, both purely cosmetic, put the two in front of a costumer and explain to them what I have just said in this paragraph, 9 out of 10 will go for the S600, which is obviously more expensive, metal always wins.

I just ordered 2 S560s for my rebreather bailout bottles, I could downgrade them to a S600 by putting a metal barrel in it :wink:

My S555 was plastic, and the upgrade to a S600 needed need to specify it to be metal or the earlier plastic might have been done...
I honestly did not understand what you meant, “need to specify” and “have been done” I think is what I’m not understanding in your post, but I’d like to know please

Back
Top Bottom