Question about Chuck Taylors as rock boots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zef

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
For those that use/recommend Chuck Taylors as rock boots....are they low enough profile that you were able to continue using the same fins you were using with wetsuit and booties? or did you need to go up a size for fins?

My wife has neoprene socks on her drysuit that she bought used this past winter, she likes her fins and if we can save the expense of replacing them that would be great.

Thanks,
-Z

It will vary. If you are at the top of the sizing window for the fins, they will probably be too small.
My old fins turned out to only work with wetsuit booties. Got a larger pair for the drysuit that didn't work with the wetsuit.
Later I tried another fin, liked it, bought them. That one fin will fit both just fine.

So the only answer I have is, maybe.

For those that use/recommend Chuck Taylors as rock boots....are they low enough profile that you were able to continue using the same fins you were using with wetsuit and booties? or did you need to go up a size for fins?

My wife has neoprene socks on her drysuit that she bought used this past winter, she likes her fins and if we can save the expense of replacing them that would be great.

Thanks,
-Z
My CTs fit in the same fins that my TUSA lowtop booties fit in, DR XTs and Deep6 Eddys. If you actually mean neoprene socks, I guess you mean booties are worn over them? If so, I think it depends on the booties and the fins.

My CTs fit in the same fins that my TUSA lowtop booties fit in, DR XTs and Deep6 Eddys. If you actually mean neoprene socks, I guess you mean booties are worn over them? If so, I think it depends on the booties and the fins.

She has a USIA trilam drysuit with neoprene sock attached. She would need either a rock boot type boot, or neoprene booties to go over the neoprene socks to provide foot and suit protection.

-Z

She has a USIA trilam drysuit with neoprene sock attached. She would need either a rock boot type boot, or neoprene booties to go over the neoprene socks to provide foot and suit protection.

-Z
In my experience, if her neoprene booties have a thick hard sole, like one uses in Bonaire, then the CTs will also fit the fins. If, however, the booties have a soft, flexible sole, I'd bet against it.

Reactions: Zef
I have a USIA suit too and use different fins than soft booties.

When you account for the drysuit sock plus your cold water boot sock (or fleece sock) you are looking at sizing up the CTs.

Just need a different tool for a different job.

Reactions: Zef
The Chuck Taylors are low profile. I was able to use same fins (but they had a bit of room to spare).

Zef’s wife has my former suit. :). The neoprene socks have no hard sole. They are soft soled with some sort of non skid stuff on the bottom.

When I got CT for it, I dragged drysuit to shoe store to get the correct size for socks (just put it on bottom half). Might as well drag fins to shoe store, too! :D

The Chuck Taylors are low profile. I was able to use same fins (but they had a bit of room to spare).

Zef’s wife has my former suit. :). The neoprene socks have no hard sole. They are soft soled with some sort of non skid stuff on the bottom.

When I got CT for it, I dragged drysuit to shoe store to get the correct size for socks (just put it on bottom half). Might as well drag fins to shoe store, too! :D

That is the direction we are leaning.

Thanks.

-Z

I guess I was lucky the shoe store allowed me to take the CT's home to try. :) Ended up going two sizes over my street shoe size. And I did have to go to XL Slipstreams. My large Jets wouldn't work. Good luck.

I used a pair for a few years - they were lower profile than wetsuit boots but still higher profile than normal drysuit boots.

I had socks put on my old DUI when the turbo soles fell apart; with 'normal' drysuit boots or turbo soles I use XL jets, with socks plus Converse I had to use XXL jets, and with socks plus wetsuit boots I couldn't fit even in to XXL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom