Dragging Revo to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couple places in Playa have sorb and O2. Don't think the ferry would let you take cylinders though.

The alternative approach is to individually "armor" sensitive components and then use any old case you want. It gives you a lot of flexibility as to what you check and what you don't and what bags you use.

I love hard sided cases, but as carry ons there are some trips when they just aren't practical because they are so heavy. If you have 7 kg of carry on allowance, and a hard sided case weights 5, it doesn't do you much good. That's probably not a problem going to CZM, but it is on other flights.

I use an old tank boot lined with closed cell foam that fits the head of my Meg perfectly. I have an form-fitted enclosure for my camera housing that is made from Kydex and foam. Both are super light but bullet proof. I can throw those in an eagle creek soft carry on that weighs nothing if I have to. Plus, since camera gear is often exempt from the weight limit, I can pull it out before weighing and it doesn't count against me.

Hard side is GREAT, don't get me wrong. And should be no problem going to CZM. Just pointing out that sometimes you have to take a different approach when you have an airline that is tough on carry ons: either checking a big hardside or finding a way to put sensitive stuff in a lightweight carry on. One way to do that is to protect the individual components.

My wallet may decide this in the end... I wasn't prepared for the 85% markup for ccr support. 180/day ccr (o2, dill, sorb, BO), 97 oc. Typical?

I haven't looked at your pricing, but that sounds pretty steep to me. It's pretty common for sorb to be pricey. O2 cost seems to be more variable. Are you assuming new fills every day?

edit: are you saying 180 day for CCR, inclusive of the boat vs 97 for OC. That wouldn't offend me, too much.

i also pack the whole meg with canister (head/scrubber can) + lights on a seahorse 830 carryon (which is now listed for $80 on wallmart) and take it with me. regs on my backpack with me. checked bag has bc, reels etc.
we had a terrible moment a couple of years ago traveling as a group of 4 CCR friends, where the guys who had their CCRs on the checked luggage, just found and empty suitcase and a TSA notice that the CCR was removed as hazardous material :wink:... luckily lots of people helped and the units were recovered... but. i wouldn't consider checking my unit anymore.
Since I was one of those guys, I will never check CCR again!

The alternative approach is to individually "armor" sensitive components and then use any old case you want. It gives you a lot of flexibility as to what you check and what you don't and what bags you use.

I love hard sided cases, but as carry ons there are some trips when they just aren't practical because they are so heavy. If you have 7 kg of carry on allowance, and a hard sided case weights 5, it doesn't do you much good. That's probably not a problem going to CZM, but it is on other flights.

I use an old tank boot lined with closed cell foam that fits the head of my Meg perfectly. I have an form-fitted enclosure for my camera housing that is made from Kydex and foam. Both are super light but bullet proof. I can throw those in an eagle creek soft carry on that weighs nothing if I have to. Plus, since camera gear is often exempt from the weight limit, I can pull it out before weighing and it doesn't count against me.

Hard side is GREAT, don't get me wrong. And should be no problem going to CZM. Just pointing out that sometimes you have to take a different approach when you have an airline that is tough on carry ons: either checking a big hardside or finding a way to put sensitive stuff in a lightweight carry on. One way to do that is to protect the individual components.
Tank boot is a great Idea

My wallet may decide this in the end... I wasn't prepared for the 85% markup for ccr support. 180/day ccr (o2, dill, sorb, BO), 97 oc. Typical?

Seems kind of high, to me.

$97 for OC sounds like, maybe $80 for the boat plus $17 for rental of 2 tanks filled with air.

For CCR rentals, I would have guessed something like:

2 x CCR cylinders, one with O2 and one with Air - $30
1 scrubber full of sorb - $20 - 30
1 x AL40 filled with air and (normally) returned full - $10

If the boat ride is $80, then that would be $140 - 150 per day, total. $180 seems like higher prices than I would have expected. If sorb is $300 per jug, then maybe $40 for a scrubber fill. But, not outrageous. Just higher than I would have thought.

Also, if you're paying for all that other stuff, seems like they might comp you the use of the 40, since you'd expect to never even use it.

I wonder what it would cost to ship cylinders and sorb of your own down there and ship the cylinders back after. I.e. I wonder how many days of diving would you have to do to break even versus renting cylinders and buying sorb there.

I wonder what it would cost to ship cylinders and sorb of your own down there and ship the cylinders back after. I.e. I wonder how many days of diving would you have to do to break even versus renting cylinders and buying sorb there.

Never ever ship anything to MX for vacation purposes
It will be in customs for an indeterminant amount of time.
It may or may not arrive at all.

You can bring your own keg of sorb on the plane and your own cylinders (even with hefty extra and overweight baggage charges) for less than shipping, customs, loss, theft, and the whole who knows if it will ever arrive issue.

This seahorse? Mind telling me the inside dimensions? I like the hard-side case approach in case someone insists I check it.
19.5 x 11 x 7.8"
and it meets the FAA regulations for maximum carry on size.

Deep exposure will gladly sell you sorb whether you are diving with them or not. They may be reluctant to rent of fill tanks if they are busy but they have 2 excellent boats and provide great service for OC and |CCR divers.
Protec, either in Playa or Tulum will rent tanks, have boosted O2 and He and will sell you sorb as well regardless of who you are diving with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom