sturdy back-inflate BCD with proper utility pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afieldofblue

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello all,

I’m interested in buying a new BCD with the following specs:

Sturdy (I work in diving and do up to 800 dives a year)

Back-inflate (non-negotiable)

2 real utility pockets (I work as a guide and really do need pockets)

Shoulder dump valve (my current BC doesn’t have one and I really miss it)

Rear dump valve, ideally 2

Reasonable lift (I work mostly in tropical environment, but was also working in 7mm for a few months last year)

Plenty of D rings

I’m currently diving on a Zeagle Scout BC- it’s ok but ageing, sizing isn’t perfect, and the pockets are bit too small, and there’s no shoulder dump valve. I don’t use the LPI dump as that’s asking for trouble if using daily. Hardly any distributors in Asia as well, so not ideal.

Seems very difficult to find a BC that ticks all the boxes.
A lot of people around me get wings and cargo shorts like Scubapro’s for the pockets

Thanks for you help

ben

Have you considered the Apeks "Black Ice"?

It ticks most of the boxes you want (not sure about shoulder dump) but its the closest i could think of with your specific requirements.

The Apeks Black Ice looks good.

I was going to suggest the AP Diving Commando, it's not back inflate, but very rugged and huge pockets. Good after sales support too. A buddy dives an older model from the 80's!

nice! Thanks for the tips - the seahawk looks good, but no shoulder dump valve.

The Zeagle Ranger is ok, but same no shoulder dump valve and I'm not really comfortable with Zeagle products anymore after dealing with their customer service outside the USA... non standard parts and no distributors in Asia... E-mail contact has also been a big let-down, so best to move on I think.

The Apex Black Ice and Aqualung Dimension look very good, these seem to tick all the boxes indeed - will definitely look into these!

If you can find a BC that works otherwise and has room on a waist strap, add pockets to the waist strap. That’s sometimes easier to reach than built in pockets anyway. I use the Zeagle utility pockets, I used to think they were too big but love then now. I tie them to something on the BC with a bit of bungie so they can’t fall off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom