DIY Nitrox Analyzer (Arduino based)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pao

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here is an Arduino based Nitrox anlyzer I recently made. It uses an Arduino Nano, an ADS1115 ADC, and a 0.96" I2C OLED display. It uses the PSR-11-39-JD sensor from DGX. This is loosely based on this one: Arduino oled nitrox analyzer - Eunjae Im. But the code was too complex for me, so I decided to write my own simpler code and display the actual sensor reading in mV as a final check (because I am obsessive about knowing what lies under the hood) .

It auto calibrates at startup and has on-demand calibration via a push-button. I decided not to store calibration values after power off as a safety precaution. It has gone through several iterations and ended up with the sensor and sampler built-in but with an external port. It is powered by an 18650 cell which can be charged via a micro USB port. It uses ~25 mA at full draw.

Included in the pics is one with an external sensor input only and powered by 2 AA batteries and a 5V boost converter and another one using a hacked PM128 panel meter (Oxycheq El Cheapo clone).
001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg

Nice work, and I think that you did a good job.

But, what is the advantage over a 3.5 digit DMM circuit with a 10 turn pot, battery and sensor?

Michael

Reactions: Pao
Nice work, and I think that you did a good job.

But, what is the advantage over a 3.5 digit DMM circuit with a 10 turn pot, battery and sensor?

Michael

The main advantage is auto and 1 button calibration, no more fiddling with a knob. Other advantages are the readability of the OLED in bright light and USB charging. You can also roughly gauge the remaining sensor life at it directly displays the cell voltage. Components are also off the shelf and easy to replace/troubleshoot (I did a fair bit of that).

And I've heard cheap ones are not sensitive enough for us, as they need to be able to measure down to ppm (parts per million)

It would be a great project though...

Nice project and thanks for sharing. What about the next step ? A trimix/oxy analyser, for example ? :wink: Seen one done, arduino based, on a French forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom