Hello from newly certified diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoSpiffy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all. The wife and I just completed our Padi OW cert last weekend. Still waiting for my dive shop to submit all the paperwork and looking forward to receiving my card! Been wanting to get certified for a long time now since doing a discover scuba over 8 years ago and finally bit the bullet now that I had someone (the wife...haha) to do it with and be able to continue to dive with hopefully all over the world!

Heading to the Philippines (Busuanga Island) in 2 weeks for 5 days and was looking some cool pics and resources to possibly help prep and decide on dive sites right for us and stumbled upon this board! :happywave:

Welcome! Is Hong Kong home for you?
Hi Seaweed Doc! I grew up in the States. Los Angeles most of my life and San Diego for college. But yes, now Hong Kong is home for me. Feel lucky having so many tropical places close-ish to where I live. My discover scuba many years ago was in SD and it was cold haha.

Oh my gosh, yes, you are so spoiled for choice from Hong Kong!

Welcome to the board. I hope you've found your way into the Regional subforums.

Oh my gosh, yes, you are so spoiled for choice from Hong Kong!

Welcome to the board. I hope you've found your way into the Regional subforums.
Yes! I've been looking at all the sub forums really. Definitely been checking out the Philippines one and also the GoPro one as I got the Hero 7 to take some videos specifically for my upcoming trip and of course future dives! Would've thought a ton of ppl go to Coron, but it seems most of the recent post are of other places...giving me ideas for future trips :p

Welcome to the board and to scuba. You have lots to look forward to.
You've just started and already you have someone that's envious of you. ME! You have a wife that will be diving with you. :thumb:

Enjoy making great memories together.

Welcome to ScubaBoard SoSpiffy. Let us know how your trip goes. There will be many interested people here wanting to know.
Congrats on getting certified.

Welcome to the undersea world ! But beware : diving is strongly addictive and will flatten your purse ! :D:p Still, as your lady is also your buddy, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. :wink:

Just a reminder : you're close to warm waters, good for you two, and have plenty of fun there, but don't forget, cold waters dives can be great too !

Dive safe.

Welcome to the undersea world ! But beware : diving is strongly addictive and will flatten your purse ! :D:p Still, as your lady is also your buddy, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. :wink:

Just a reminder : you're close to warm waters, good for you two, and have plenty of fun there, but don't forget, cold waters dives can be great too !

Dive safe.
Thanks! It's already starting to dig into my savings. I signed up to take my AOW during my trip to Busuanga with the dive shop attached to my hotel...add that to a list of expenses I didn't expect to have this month! Haha.

I don't mind the cold, but my wife HATES it. Even the 22C water here in HK this time of year she said was her limit. I've heard (and by heard I mean I saw on TV) about some natural abalone "farms" in Korea that people can sign up to dive and pick. That'll be how I persuade the wife to dive in the cold with me haha. Maybe I'll take the drysuit course sometime before going though :hm:

Dry suit is THE perfect tool against cold water in my opinion. Still, be sure to master your buoyancy skill first. Air in the jacket and in the dry suit can be tricky at first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom