Mares First Stage 22x or 52x

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have seen 5 different covers (there are variations of the most current version such as the Navy being black mesh and the standard model silver mesh):

I am not sure if this model has a special name:
upload_2019-4-10_10-25-48.jpeg

This is definitively the model paired with the Ruby:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQtQ0oX5Ot1DW1ZhwGhSLGKpE_ga9NFO0gNZuj7swCLu-ywUt1.jpg

Is this the Orbiter?:
upload_2019-4-10_10-26-11.jpeg

Is this the Turbo?:
upload_2019-4-10_10-27-46.jpeg

This is the current/final version...is there a name designation for it (other than "Navy" for the all black model)?
upload_2019-4-10_10-28-48.jpeg
upload_2019-4-10_10-29-0.jpeg
upload_2019-4-10_10-29-13.jpeg

-Z

@JackD342
Do you know how to determine year of manufacture from the serial numbers on the first and 2nd stages?

Also, could you explain this change a little more?:
2008/2009 - new demand lever, lever adjustment port added to box (thank you!!!).
No idea on serial numbers. The only time I have ever had such insight for any manufacturer is when there is a recall or service bulletin published for a specific problem.

Lever change: ENSURES BETTER PERFORMANCE FROM THE REGULATOR, PARTICULARLY AT DEPTHS OF GREATER THAN 35 M (115 F), ALLOWING FOR MORE NATURAL AND COMFORTABLE BREATHING IN ALL DIVING CONDITIONS.
Old:
upload_2019-4-10_7-53-25.png

New:
upload_2019-4-10_7-54-19.png

And finally, many older 2nd stages where the demand lever height is adjusted with the locking nut only provide access by removing the front cover. A simple modification to this design is to add a port on the left side of the box allowing insertion of a nut driver while the cover is installed. When this was added to the Abyss, I think they also changed the angle of the inlet connector. On the Abyss it is the same as a 1st stage LP port plug, other models have a plastic plug.

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-10_7-53-25.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-10_7-53-25.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 117
  • upload_2019-4-10_7-54-19.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-10_7-54-19.jpeg
    38.6 KB · Views: 125
I have seen 5 different covers (there are variations of the most current version such as the Navy being black mesh and the standard model silver mesh):

I am not sure if this model has a special name:
View attachment 514138

This is definitively the model paired with the Ruby:
View attachment 514144

Is this the Orbiter?:
View attachment 514139

Is this the Turbo?:
View attachment 514140

This is the current/final version...is there a name designation for it (other than "Navy" for the all black model)?
View attachment 514141View attachment 514142View attachment 514143

-Z
Interchangeable covers:
upload_2019-4-10_8-11-39.png

I think that is the Turbo in your photo, but documentation is scarce on that one.

I think the only designation for the “final” Abyss/MR22 is 2008.

Navy is very similar, but is more than just a black color. The 1st stage has an oil filled chamber. Service kits are the same for both 1st stages, except Navy still uses the old poppet. There is more difference in the 2nd stage, as everything has a a special coating (Teflon?) to resist ice formation. Different 2nd stage kit, as even the demand lever nut is specially coated.
If you want to seal a “standard” MR22 there were both dry chamber and oil kits made, perhaps still available. I have a couple of dry in stock. There have even been dry kits for some MR12.

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-10_8-11-39.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-10_8-11-39.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 127
Both my Abyss 2nd stages are of the Turbo variety. I have occasionally wondered if I could replace the cover with the 2008+ cover (current design)....I can find it available for not too much here in Europe.

If I order parts such as this for the 2nd stage, is there anything else I need to be aware of....I was told once something that confirms what you state that all the covers are interchangeable but a local shop mentioned once a few years ago that changing the cover would also require a change of the diaphragm. I am disinclined to believe that given you are the 2nd person to indicate that they are interchangeable....I think the shop owner failed to order the replacement cover as asked and made that up the story about the diaphragm to cover his error.

-Z

And finally, many older 2nd stages where the demand lever height is adjusted with the locking nut only provide access by removing the front cover. A simple modification to this design is to add a port on the left side of the box allowing insertion of a nut driver while the cover is installed. When this was added to the Abyss, I think they also changed the angle of the inlet connector. On the Abyss it is the same as a 1st stage LP port plug, other models have a plastic plug.

I had to hunt for a picture showing the left side of the Abyss....I would never have known about this design modification. Neither of my Abyss models have this as they are both older and they are adjusted by both the locknut on the demand lever and the green plastic 5mm hex fitting inside the end the hose attaches to.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSf6AFVvMEQlZ1nJsa3kwmxEiklk694bAJ9KhVA76nXWCXMAH8L5A.jpg

Do you think it would work if I carefully drill and tap to accept an LP port plug? Thats if the angle of attack to the nut is conducive to making this mod. Or do you think they beefed up the metal box/body in that area before making the change?

I have a demand lever height adjustment gauge...it is marked with different models of Mares 2nd stages and there is a specific side for the Turbo model....that is why I wanted to confirm the model designation for that particular cover.

One of the things I like about the older model MR22 is that there are no special tools needed to take it apart....particularly with a DIN conversion installed. Only a torque wrench and IP gauge is needed to re-assemble. The slimmer version of the MR22 has a fitting on the bottom that requires a pin spanner or special double pin tool to remove.

-Z

I had to hunt for a picture showing the left side of the Abyss....I would never have known about this design modification. Neither of my Abyss models have this as they are both older and they are adjusted by both the locknut on the demand lever and the green plastic 5mm hex fitting inside the end the hose attaches to.
View attachment 514191
Do you think it would work if I carefully drill and tap to accept an LP port plug? Thats if the angle of attack to the nut is conducive to making this mod. Or do you think they beefed up the metal box/body in that area before making the change?

I have a demand lever height adjustment gauge...it is marked with different models of Mares 2nd stages and there is a specific side for the Turbo model....that is why I wanted to confirm the model designation for that particular cover.

One of the things I like about the older model MR22 is that there are no special tools needed to take it apart....particularly with a DIN conversion installed. Only a torque wrench and IP gauge is needed to re-assemble. The slimmer version of the MR22 has a fitting on the bottom that requires a pin spanner or special double pin tool to remove.

-Z

IIRC (the regs are home and I am not), there is a boss added to the body to accept the threads. If you drill, you will be drilling into something not much thicker than sheet metal, and there won't be enough material to tap the hole.

IIRC (the regs are home and I am not), there is a boss added to the body to accept the threads. If you drill, you will be drilling into something not much thicker than sheet metal, and there won't be enough material to tap the hole.

Thanks. I could not tell from the picture that they beefed up the area. Not a lot of pictures of that side of the reg available online.

-Z

I have a fat chrome body mr22/turbo style abyss. I rebuilt them myself once, and I found my proton octo which already had the side plug to adjust lever height way easier than the older abyss to work on. Anything with that most current style cover will have the side plug, I am almost certain that was the same design change. Pretty sure all the ground down body MR22's have the new hard seat.
I was actually unaware of the lever change but then I stopped using mine years ago.

This is the pdf from Mares for the hard seat change that went with the latest tri material seat version. I replaced this part on mine which had the old version.
http://subzero.cat/biblioteca/items...HP_Poppet_Seat_-__46186216_-_Update_Jan30.pdf

My mr12 pony reg has a non replaceable hard seat and the "new" tri material seat works just fine with it. I think the knife edge cone on the new seat just eats into the soft seat for a better lock up of pressure.

I ended up switching to an aqualung conshelf based setup for ease of service and way cheaper parts (mares charges a lot for the kit and seat separately and aqualung is an all in one cheap kit) but the abyss noticably performed better in the water.

Reactions: Zef
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom