Full Suit or 2 piece for cold water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drysuit. You can put on your 7mil Michelin Man outfit and tough it out for the first dive, but the surface interval is a killer and the second dive is just no fun. We're (mostly) not pros here, having fun is the whole point. The pros dive dry too. If you felt squeezed you were doing it wrong: there's a button on your chest that fixes that problem. That button creates other problems, that's why you take the course. I haven't seen anyone dive wet on the PNW for several years now, it's gone totally out of fashion.

Drysuit is the way to go

Drysuit. You can put on your 7mil Michelin Man outfit and tough it out for the first dive, but the surface interval is a killer and the second dive is just no fun. We're (mostly) not pros here, having fun is the whole point. The pros dive dry too. If you felt squeezed you were doing it wrong: there's a button on your chest that fixes that problem. That button creates other problems, that's why you take the course. I haven't seen anyone dive wet on the PNW for several years now, it's gone totally out of fashion.
I mostly dive dry, but I have done 4 dives in the last year in a wetsuit in Puget Sound. Fashion has never been my strength....

:dork2:

mine either! :) Yeah, dry is the best choice if I can justify the cost. IF I go that route, what are some good economical choices in the neoprene type?

Semi dry might be an option too. I've heard Nova Scotia and Waterproof make good semidry suits.

mine either! :) Yeah, dry is the best choice if I can justify the cost. IF I go that route, what are some good economical choices in the neoprene type?
I dive an Apollo. Several instructors in the LDS do as well. Apparently sizing is limited for these so if you're past 30 BMI or particularly gangly it might be tough getting a good fit.

How cold is the water in your part of the PWN? I imagine the Southern half of Oregon has warmer water than right up next to Canada... Do you know what the surface and sub-thermocline temps are where you'd be diving?

I locally dive in San Diego and the surrounding cities and islands which are actually pretty miserably cold most of the year. It hovers at 48 to 55 at scuba depths from November to April. Even in the summer, it's in the 50s under the thermocline. Diving shallower than ~40 feet gives you much warmer water down here which is where all the fish are anyways.

That said, I use a 7mm wetsuit with 5mm gloves, hood, and some booties. It's a little chilly sometimes but really I really never get that cold. I actually did a 3 tank boat dive at Anacapa Island for my birthday last April and the water maxed out at 51 degrees. Even in that freezing cold water for 3 dives and never taking off my wetsuit, I wasn't too cold. So I'd say if you're diving water over 48 degrees you'd be fine in either a 7mm full-suit or a 2 piece with extra coverage on the core.

But if you're diving in water colder than 48 consistently, or 48 is the warmest it will get, I'd recommend going with a drysuit. I also recommend renting a wetsuit so you know if it's warm enough.

If you are going to get a 7mm you might look for one that has some form of wrist and ankle seal. I dive a Bare Velocity 7mm with a 5/3 hooded vest into the low 50s (F) and that works OK for me. The suit has mid-forearm and mid-calf seals that look pretty anemic, but do seem to help. I think Piranha sells an inexpensive 7mm with wrist and ankle gaskets, and I think the Mares Flexa has wrist and ankle seals. The hooded vest is key -- helps keep that "ice down your back" feeling to a minimum. Past that there are semi-drys -- and people seem to like the Hollis Neotek, though there are many other choices too.

I think a lot depends on the air temperature too. If it is a nice day outside and you can warm up after the first dive, the second dive is OK. If you're cold before you get in the water, though, it will be miserable. (I don't dive if it is cold outside.)

A drysuit is probably in my future -- but, for now, I want to spend more time in the water than fixing my suit.

Back
Top Bottom