Hello from Virginia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FredMike

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all! Mike here.

I've been diving a little over 6 years and hit the 250 mark in the Bahamas in January on a really cool live-aboard. Primarily dive the FL keys due to the ease of getting there. Have done a couple of dives off NC and in Turks & Caicos (while on a cruise, just a deep ledge, nothing exciting).

Always looking to expand my diving circle of friends or find a new place to dive. Love organizing trips, will look to see if there's a section here for that.

On the off chance you're not familiar with it, and you're close enough to make it worthwhile, Lake Phoenix (Formerly Lake Rawlings) is a good place to do some refresher dives and check out some wrecks that were intentionally sunk in a quarry to create a diving attraction. Not much in the way of fish and it can be a bit chilly but it still beats a great day at work.

Lake Phoenix

Welcome OP and x2 on Lake Phoenix. I spent today there with a few people from Virginia Dive Club (affiliated with Virginia Scuba in Manassas). They do a lot of local diving and plan trips out of the area, as well.

Where you're in Fredericksburg...check in with Scuba Shack. They do an occasional social/dinner for divers. They do trips out of the area and they'd probably let you tag along on one of their trips down to the lake. They also have occasional outings over to Rappahannock Quarry in Fredericksburg, which they control access to. If you can get in...Rappahannock Quarry is worth hitting.

Shack Calendar - They have an open water class at Rappahannock Quarry on 4/27. It would be worth calling and asking if they'll permit certified divers to tag along.

On Lake Phoenix...the water is starting to warm up. It was ~48* from the surface to 61' the Friday before last. It was 52* at the surface today. I thought it was relatively comfortable down to 20' or so. I'm curious to download my e-log to see exactly where the thermocline is now (I didn't notice one last week).

With all the rain the past couple of weeks, the visibility isn't great. It was 15-20' my past couple outings, but it's generally 30' or so.

welcome to ScubaBoard Mike.

On the off chance you're not familiar with it, and you're close enough to make it worthwhile, Lake Phoenix (Formerly Lake Rawlings) is a good place to do some refresher dives and check out some wrecks that were intentionally sunk in a quarry to create a diving attraction. Not much in the way of fish and it can be a bit chilly but it still beats a great day at work.

Lake Phoenix
Thank you - actually very familiar with Lake Phoenix (and Rawlings). Did my Basic & Advanced certs there. Try to do at least one trip a year there between just to get some time in the water and stay fresh on skills.

Welcome. Since you make it down as far as the Florida Keys, you might find other regions of Florida's east coast distinctive - Jupiter, West Palm Beach, Blue Heron Bridge...

Richard.
Thank you, RIchard. I do want to check out other areas of Florida. Have friends that have done springs as well, but not sure I'd get much out of those other than crystal clear water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom