DRIS Mirage Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frozenmud

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After much searching, I have not been able to find any additional information on the DRIS Mirage Wing. I am getting ready to make the switch to a BP/W and have been researching quite a bit. I am intrigued by the Mirage because I do tropical diving with no wetsuit to diving with a 7mm in fresh and salt water. Playing around with buoyance calculations the Mirage should fit the bill. What are your thoughts on the Mirage? Thanks for the input.

I have never seen one. It is a new product from DRIS that came out recently. My understanding is the product comes with one bladder and two different size shells. The shells restrict expansion of the bladder which controls the amount of lift.

There has been threads before that claim other manufacturers use the same bladder for different size wings. If true, the DRIS wing is not too different. Some complain that using a too large bladder in a small shell causes poor venting of the wing because the folds of the bladder trap air. I suspect this can be reduced or eliminated with proper sizing of the bladder and shells.

One drawback with the wing is that its bladder is thin. According to the website the bladder is 15 mil. DSS uses 30 mil and I believe Oxycheq uses/d 25 mil. I like DRIS and have ordered from them in the past. Their house brand products try to make diving affordable. Their customer service is great. Give them a call and talk to them.

It's pretty nice in person and easy to change the covers. I haven't done with, so I can't comment. The people ive spoken to who used it told me it dove fine.

I’ve seen it in person, too. Easy to change the covers. Just give the shop a call with any questions. Closed now until Monday, so call them then. 11am to 9pm central time.

I was one of the people who tested in its prototype phase, and I own one now that it is in production. I had always dived a bigger wing for single tank diving, and I really liked the smaller size. I have no trouble venting it. I took with with me to Palau in May and did nearly 3 weeks of diving with AL 80s there--no problems at all. Before that, I used it in Florida with a steel LP 85 and a 5mm suit. During the test phase, I used both sizes with that setup. I preferred the smaller in each case. It does not take long to make the switch, although I do not foresee making that switch too often.

I've been looking at this combo instead of the DGX 30# wing, as the two wing sizes sounds great. Still happy with it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom