upgrade from jacket to wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arcticat99

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
looking to upgrade to a wing.LDS only sells halcon wings but looking online and i see i can purchase other brands for about 3-400 dollars less .is there a huge difference or are you just paying for the name ?thanks

At one time Halcyon was the best wing on the market. However, over time other manufacturers have caught up with them. As far as diving goes you are not going to feel any difference. As far as fit and finish, they are among the best but in my opinion not worth the premium.

Some divers refer to the high price of of buying Halcyon gear as "paying the H tax".

Halycyon has a following, but it is debatable if their gear is any better than competing brands.

If you are looking for gear I would recommend going with companies that are known for their customer service...Dive Rite, Edge-Hog, DGX, Deep 6, are all at the top of my list.

-Z

I bought my Halcyon gear 11-12 years ago and am still very happy with it, but as others have said, there are more alternatives now. I'd look into Deep 6 or Edge now.

Check out HOG or Deep 6. Both companies have quality products and great customer service. I like my HOG Setup.

The parts are generally interchangeable between companies (not always, but generally...so confirm prior to ordering new parts)...so you can swap out webbing, plates, weight pouches, etc. until you settle on a setup that you’re happy with.

Look used too. ex. The classified section here. It’s pretty easy to find lightly used BP/W’s for cheap.

Some divers refer to the high price of of buying Halcyon gear as "paying the H tax".

Halycyon has a following, but it is debatable if their gear is any better than competing brands.

If you are looking for gear I would recommend going with companies that are known for their customer service...Dive Rite, Edge-Hog, DGX, Deep 6, are all at the top of my list.

-Z
I think you can include Halcyon on this list. Anytime I have called them to ask a question I get a live person who wants to help. The couple of times I have needed service it was fast turn around and at no charge.

Just got my Vintagedoublehose wing in. Looks great and the price was right, but waiting on my Freedom Plate to actually use it.

I think you can include Halcyon on this list. Anytime I have called them to ask a question I get a live person who wants to help. The couple of times I have needed service it was fast turnaround and at no charge.

I have little doubt one can...one just pays a premium for it with Halcyon where as with the others one gets quality, customer service, and a decent price.

It is not a knock on Halcyon, but more of a thumbs up on the others.

-Z

I can be notoriously cheap sometimes but just as a little point, if you went with what you LDS has and spend that extra money you can amortize it over several years because it is good high quality gear. The alternatives are also good, probably as good but you are on your own for set up which is actually quite easy if a little intimidating the first time.

The H is good stuff, so are most of the others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom