US Divers Conshelf 21 service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find this thread funny. I bought the conshelf 21 reg and octo 31 years ago when I first dove. I am now getting back into diving and getting them serviced for use. I do have to add a BC hose and gauges

I find this thread funny. I bought the conshelf 21 reg and octo 31 years ago when I first dove. I am now getting back into diving and getting them serviced for use. I do have to add a BC hose and gauges

Regulator design is more evolutionary then revolutionary. The Conshelf 21 became the Conshelf 22 and then the Aqualung Titan. There have been some changes along the way but nothing really earthshaking.

Most regulators from major manufactures from that time period are completely serviceable. The one that comes to mind that isn't is Dacor regulators, because they went out of business. Most dive shops won't touch them.

In the mid-2000s many companies were selling re-branded regulators, this includes Cochran, OMS, Oxycheq, Dive Rite, Abyss, and others I have forgotten. Because these regulators have been abandoned by their sellers, finding parts is difficult. Most dive shops won't service them. The second stages can be serviced by yourself, if you can match up the o-rings and seats. The first stages are trickier, as you would need to find the OEM kit or hope that an aftermarket seat and diaphragm works. As tbone mentioned these are better left as paperweights.

I might be buying a con-shelf 21 octopus that (they say) has never been in water for $125.
If they've never been in the water, is there still worry of dry rot etc?
Thanks!
Figgy
If you're interested in metal, I have a Conshelf XII I've been using as my primary that I'd let you have for less than that... I'll throw in a couple soft seats with it. Pictures available on request!

I have 2 sets of the conshelf 21s that i picked up on craigslist and looking for advice on where to get them serviced. At this point I am leaning toward taking them to Scubatoys since it is about 60 miles from my house. However, I thought I would check the board and see if someone else had any recommendations. Is there a member that services these that others have used? Just looking for suggestions from others and idea of what it should cost. I know cost can vary depending on hoses but just looking for ball park.

It shouldn’t cost a lot, these are very easy regs to work with. You should look into learning to service them yourself. I have six Conshelf regs and won’t dive with anything else. Been servicing them myself since 1983 so no idea what people charge to do it. Probably more than they should.

I see the occasional Conshelf SE2 set coming up for sale. Are parts widely available for these and are they a desireable reg set as other Conshelf models?

I see the occasional Conshelf SE2 set coming up for sale. Are parts widely available for these and are they a desireable reg set as other Conshelf models?

Uses the same service kit as Conshelf XIV, 21, 22, and Titan. All have the same internal parts.

The only unique thing about the SE2 is that the primary first stage port is 1/2 in, not the usual 3/8 in. It's hard to find new replacement hoses with that size fitting, but you can buy an adapter that will give you a 3/8 in end to connect a normal hose. Or just look for a Conshelf 21 or 22. They also appear for sale regularly.

My main issue with the SE2 is the seconds... 5 out of 6 I've picked up on fleabay had cracked housings. As such, I've become a big fan of the metal Conshelf 2nds. That and chrome is shiny!

My main issue with the SE2 is the seconds... 5 out of 6 I've picked up on fleabay had cracked housings. As such, I've become a big fan of the metal Conshelf 2nds. That and chrome is shiny!

Some of the first plastic seconds were fragile when they were new. The yellow ones were more prone to cracks than the black ones. And almost all plastic second stages get more brittle with age.

You seem to be more unlucky than me though. Less than half the plastic seconds I have bought were bad. That said, I am usually buying the set to get the first stage. I never rebuilt any of the plastic second stages. I too like shiny chrome.

the plastic ones have their place, cracks aren't as obvious on the black ones
fading lets them down and what were they thinking with the greeny yellow ones

full.jpg

Back
Top Bottom