Cold in 55 Degree Waters!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taath

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I am currently diving a Ursuit One Endurance trilam suit. Great suit, very happy with it. My go to undergarments are Fourth Element Arctics with a smart wool layer underneath. In 55 degree Fahrenheit water I am getting cold after 30 or so minutes in the water. I have also tried a Aqualung/Whites Thermal Fusion in the same water temperatures with the same outcome.

Looking at a couple different options to increase my warmth and thus my dive time.

One option is getting a crushed neoprene suit for colder water diving, this combined with my Arctics should be enough (I hope) to keep me warm. Specifically looking at an O’Three custom suit, so likely in the $1,200 range.

Second option would be a heated vest. The options seem pretty limited, either a Thermulation shirt for $700 or so and have the battery inside the drysuit or go for the canister battery, bulkhead, vest, ect for $1200+.

The final option, which seems to be the most reasonable, would be to look at a warmer undergarment. Here are some of the options I’ve considered and my thoughts/concerns with each of them:

• Kwark Navy – Not easy to get in the USA, concerned that it would not be warm enough on it’s own. Maybe part of a layering system with the Arctics?

• Weezle Extreme – Also not easy to get in the USA. Seems to have mostly great reviews. Presuming it should be plenty warm for 55 degree water. Some sources indicated you had to have a lot of gas in your suit to loft the suit and thus have the warmth.

• Ursuit Finfill Heavy – Easier to get through retailers in the USA but no reviews available

• Santi BZ400X – Easy to get but pricey! Mixed reviews as to whether it’s as warm as the Weezle Extreme and it’s twice the price.

So all that being said, any suggestions? Anyone able to help alleviate some of my concerns with the undergarments I mentioned above? Also, if anyone has contact for a Weezle dealer in the USA, that would be great too!

Thanks in advance,

Taath

what gloves and hood are you using? That should be more than enough undergarment for 55f water, but having a bad hood and/or gloves will make all the difference in the world.

Where are you cold at?
Do you have enough air in the suit? If you can have a bubble you feel move around it is probably fine. Some people try and dive vacuum packed inside a drysuit, insulation compressed and not insulating. Insulation only works if there is air in there

If it really is needing more warmth, I have never been cold in a 4th element Halo in 50° water. I may be overheated on the surface but that is another issue. I am really liking my Weezle Compact but it can be chilly below 55°. Adding a set of thin thermals under it adds a few degrees, need to pick up some wool. I have not tried the Extreme but I remember it being much thicker than the compact. I would be really tempted to try an Extreme. In fact it is on my list of things to get when I find a smoking deal on one.

Oh, I just looked at the location. So you are in AZ as well. I wouldn't be surprised if we are the only two around with a Ursuit.

the kwark navy is a lighter UG than the thermal fusion according to the few comparisons by uk divers.

have you tried layering another 200g or 300g of fleece with your current undergarments?

I'm not sure how thick the Fourth element undergarments are so I can t compare but I use a DUI 400 gram insulation for my undergarment with an Under Armour moisture wicking layer under and stay comfortable in mine. I do a lot of diving in the winter with the water temps in the 36*-39* degree range. One tip is to make sure your feet are warm, I use thick wool socks but be careful not to cut the circulation off, use a thick hood that covers your neck. Another thing is if you are not using them already get a set of dry gloves, this made a huge difference for me. Another thing that helped was believe it or not a lip shield, it works to help keep my face warm. It seems once any part of your body gets cold it radiates through the rest of your body.

Can you add a few details?
  • What is your height and weight?
  • Do you have particular areas of discomfort like your hands or feet?
  • Are you so cold that you shiver or can't manipulate your gear?
  • Do you have 7mm+ hood that fits well?

The last thing you want to do is change your drysuit (unless you are getting wet) as it will make the least difference Dry gloves, undergarments, heated vest, or just eating well before diving can all help. I recently picked up the Thermolution vest for my wife how always gets cold at 20mins and she is much happier now.

what gloves and hood are you using?

Using a 7mm hood. It fits nice and tight. I don't even feel the cold on my head (except my face). Using dry gloves, hands stay pretty warm as well.

Where are you cold at?
Do you have enough air in the suit? If you can have a bubble you feel move around it is probably fine.

Cold mostly in the chest and back areas, a little in the legs as well. I've actually been using my Drysuit exclusively for buoyancy control, so there is quite a good size bubble. Can definitely move it around.

Oh, I just looked at the location. So you are in AZ as well. I wouldn't be surprised if we are the only two around with a Ursuit.

Probably. Most people here tend to gravitate to whatever the LDS are selling. I see a lot of people in DUI suits that cost probably 3x what I paid for the Ursuit. I have been impressed with the Ursuit build quality, it's very nice.

have you tried layering another 200g or 300g of fleece with your current undergarments?

I have not. I will have to look around to try and find some 200g or 300g fleece to put on. I may have a vest laying around I can try out.

One tip is to make sure your feet are warm,

I am using the fourth element socks, funny thing is, I don't have any issues with feet being cold.

Can you add a few details?
  • What is your height and weight? 5'7", 210 lbs.
  • Do you have particular areas of discomfort like your hands or feet? Mostly chest, back, and a little bit in the legs.
  • Are you so cold that you shiver or can't manipulate your gear? Not quite that cold. Uncomfortably cold, but not shivering and whatnot. Cold enough, however that, I would most definitely pad my DECO times with a few extra minutes out of concern for off gassing efficiency.
  • Do you have 7mm+ hood that fits well? Yes, hood is nice and snug but not uncomfortable. Head stays very warm.

Easy thing to try, add 3 to 5 pounds to keep more air in your suit.

I have been running a bit on the heavy side already. I guess I could try adding just a little more some extra air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom