Cold in 55 Degree Waters!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, try 3 to 5 pounds less lead, if you are to heavy the bubble can over compress your under garments and you can feel cold on the lower side, at least that is my experience.

Ok, try 3 to 5 pounds less lead, if you are to heavy the bubble can over compress your under garments and you can feel cold on the lower side, at least that is my experience.

I am probably about 2 lbs over my ideal weighting right now. I definitely feel the cold more on my chest and belly area, which makes sense as the air in the suit rises and typically I trap the bubble in the shoulder area.

I use the Fourth Element Arctics with a Fourth Element X-core vest and my core stays very warm diving in 36 degree water.

I am probably about 2 lbs over my ideal weighting right now. I definitely feel the cold more on my chest and belly area, which makes sense as the air in the suit rises and typically I trap the bubble in the shoulder area.

there is no way to trap air on your chest/belly since air rises and you would be immensely uncomfortable with that much air in your suit. Try adding a vest layer if you have any warm vests for skiing or whatever. If that doesn't work, you're best off going to active heating, but I would avoid thermolution. It's cheap for a reason....

there is no way to trap air on your chest/belly since air rises and you would be immensely uncomfortable with that much air in your suit. Try adding a vest layer if you have any warm vests for skiing or whatever. If that doesn't work, you're best off going to active heating, but I would avoid thermolution. It's cheap for a reason....

I will definitely try adding some additional layer to the chest area. I was very skeptical about the Thermulation solution. I've been looking at a couple other options for active heating. Any recommendations?

I use the Fourth Element Arctics with a Fourth Element X-core vest and my core stays very warm diving in 36 degree water.

Thanks! I'll take a look at the X-core vest.

Reactions: Skb
I will definitely try adding some additional layer to the chest area. I was very skeptical about the Thermulation solution. I've been looking at a couple other options for active heating. Any recommendations?

No complaints from me so far about Thermolution. It's a very nicely made system. I have two in the family and have friends using them for a few years. The lack to external bulky batteries and extra holes in your suit is really nice. The option to use it in a wet suit is cool for those who need it. I just used mine (Red+) on a week long trip to God's Pocket (north Vancouver Island in BC) in 46F water for 3 dives a day. I was much more comfortable than I ever have been before on dozens of such cold water multi-day trips. I ran the suit for 3+ hours each day on a single charge. Using 2 dives on Low setting, and blowing it on Medium for the end of the third. Batteries never ran out of juice. I found the High setting too warm for me but my wife loves it High.

Something is a miss if your getting cold in 55' water.

I dive a reasonable base layer, fusion undergarment, fusion ds, waterproof hood and dry gloves.

I can't wait till the water heats up to 55 so I can back off the insulation a bit.

I was happy in the Puget Sound (46-47F water) using a wicking shirt, 4E Exotherm, then the Arctics all under a Whites Fusion Tech. I had a buddy use the Xcore in Antarctica and he thought it was awesome for being a non-heated vest. I swapped to a Santi heated vest from Dirdirect.com, great pricing from the UK and they ship fairly quick. I also started using Argon which seemed to get me an additional 15 minutes of comfort before moving to the vest. You might think about moving up to an 10 or 11mm hood as well. 7mm seems a bit thin for colder water.

Back
Top Bottom