Shore Dive tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would tip on a shore dive only if the place that provided me with tanks and weights followed me out to where I was ready to descend, while carrying my gear for me and of course was waiting for me at the surface to pick up my gear after the dive. Oh, and cleaned it.

I always tip my shore diver leader, my dive buddy, since she is my critter finder and I am the photo hog. Tip is at least one drink and dinner. Sometimes I even earn a night dive..... Y MMV Bill

We tip while staying at buddy dive. I collect from everyone $75-$100 each, and give to dive op manager to split with entire crew. Entire crew means from the person who hands out weights, those that keep sweep and keep dock area clean, guys who fill tanks, crew on boats. I have had up to 32 people in a group. There is sometimes 1 person who refuses top contribute , dumbass he/she is, and I make sure everyone knows who rudely stiffed the crew. This tip amounts to less than 10% of what total trip costs.

We tip while staying at buddy dive. I collect from everyone $75-$100 each, and give to dive op manager to split with entire crew. Entire crew means from the person who hands out weights, those that keep sweep and keep dock area clean, guys who fill tanks, crew on boats. I have had up to 32 people in a group. There is sometimes 1 person who refuses top contribute , dumbass he/she is, and I make sure everyone knows who rudely stiffed the crew. This tip amounts to less than 10% of what total trip costs.

I am going on a trip with my LDS to Buddy Dive in July and was informed that we would be doing the same thing. Good way to work it out IMHO kind of makes tipping easier to figure in the cost of the trip. Only works if you go with a group like that.

This is an example of tipping a resort not shore diving.

Shore diving is rolling up in your truck, grabbing tanks, loading them and driving off. No help, usually from staff.

I pay $180 for a week of air (nitrox). If they help me load my tanks I am inclined to tip $20 for the week. Otherwise, nothing.

If i was staying at a resort, ie like Buddy, i would tip for services you mentioned (boat, dock, setting up gear... cleaning pool, ground keeping...)

Question was SHORE diving tipping.

Again was services provided above filling tank? Yes or no.

if yes than tip apprptiate to service.

I would not tip $100 for $180 of product.

This is an example of tipping a resort not shore diving.

Shore diving is rolling up in your truck, grabbing tanks, loading them and driving off. No help, usually from staff.

I pay $180 for a week of air (nitrox). If they help me load my tanks I am inclined to tip $20 for the week. Otherwise, nothing.

If i was staying at a resort, ie like Buddy, i would tip for services you mentioned (boat, dock, setting up gear... cleaning pool, ground keeping...)

Question was SHORE diving tipping.

Again was services provided above filling tank? Yes or no.

if yes than tip apprptiate to service.

I would not tip $100 for $180 of product.
Who filled the tanks you shore dive with, who keeps area clean, fills rinse tanks, keeps tanks filled for pickup, got you your weights. There is alot going on behind scenes you may not think about. May not tip $100 but a $20 is really not considerate. If you are there in a group, and the group uses boat dives as well as shore dives, tip as the group does , even if you choose not to go on the boat. It is your choice not to go on the boat.

I guess I look at shore diving as buying a product (rental tanks) as opposed to a service (guide, dm, crew).

Who filled the tanks you shore dive with, who keeps area clean, fills rinse tanks, keeps tanks filled for pickup, got you your weights. There is alot going on behind scenes you may not think about. May not tip $100 but a $20 is really not considerate. If you are there in a group, and the group uses boat dives as well as shore dives, tip as the group does , even if you choose not to go on the boat. It is your choice not to go on the boat.

I am with you on the whole resort, dive group, boat diving tipping thing.

I don't do tha type of vacation on Bonaire. I rent a VRBO, book my own car, book airfare and arrange my air refill.

I grab the tanks from a full pile, test and load. Dive. Return tanks to a empty pile.

Should tip more than $20 or 10% for them to do their job? They are not providing me a service where they load and unload, check my pressure and O2.... If they did those things than I would tip more.

Now if they led the shore dive or i was with a DM, different story.

I think your example is a group commkng down from a LDS is different than MY typical shore diving. I would tip 15% of my lodging and diving under your package. Much more than a $100 tip.

I guess I look at shore diving as buying a product (rental tanks) as opposed to a service (guide, dm, crew).

How I now feel also now that you mentioned. I don't tip the rental car company.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom