Transfers to Puerto Galera about to become even more difficult?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, thanks everyone for all the info posted here. It was very helpful for my Mar trip.

Not to raise undue alarm but I heard an earful from both a dive shop manager and a separate resort manager when I arrived in PG about problems getting public ferry tickets back now. Everything from boats suddenly not running due to "maintenance" (or not enough passengers for their satisfaction), scalpers buying out the day's tickets to sell on White Beach, etc. Delayed departures I expected (my ferry was 50 min late to leave Batangas Pier), but @Centrals' note about being locked into the boat and the ticket issues raised locally I had not expected. I took Golden Raptor over (it had just resumed running) and was not locked in. I was lucky to find a private boat to share on the way back.

The notice below was shared with me by PG resort staff on Mar 14. Hope the situation has improved by now.

“Ferry Transport Advisory:

The following Ferries have mechanical/ technical problems and hence cannot provide service - Genesis 1, September Tulips and Polaris. Only 2 Ferries will be able to provide service - San Carlos and Raptor.

We are coordinating with Montenegro Shipping Lines to provide a big RORO to be able to serve the hundreds that will come this weekend.

We are also coordinating with Fastcat for the passengers that will go to PG via Calapan.

The Tourism Council will be deploying the Task Force to assist and protect tourists.

Thank you”.

On the way from Batangas on April 14, took Genesis ferry (300 php) that ended up delayed from 8:30am to 9:30am. I took 7am JAM bus from Buendia that arrived at Batangas 8:45am. So its a fortunate delay for me.

On the way back (today), the scheduled ferry at 2:30pm was actually rescheduled to 2:00pm and it left on time. Also noticed a sign that the 4:30pm ferry is sold out. Don't try to take the last ferry out.

Lots of touts everywhere as expected. Also official porters at Muelle port that aggressively takes your bag (they want 50 php).

Trike prices is 200-php one way to Sabang. I got a 30-php discount by negotiating a little.

Went from Batangas Port to Anilao on a trike for 800 peso. 45 minute trip. Door to door from my Sabang dive center to Anilao dive center is just on 3 hours, which I thought is quite impressive.

Edit: forgot to add the road to Sabang is pretty smooth all the way now. There's like 2 sections still under construction where its 1-way and you have to wait your turn. But its an OK ride.

@Trailboss123, you might have something to add here?

Trike prices is 200-php one way to Sabang. I got a 30-php discount by negotiating a little.

I hate to break it to you, but I think you still got "Kano Priced" on that.... foreigner price... should be less than P 100, but then again P 200 = USD 3.86, so no real complaints....

Yeah I knew thats a foreigner price. It was more of a 10-second negotiation. I went in thinking 150 was the standard tourist price (based on somewhere on the net) and when he said 200, I said 150 was the norm. And he countered with 170. Later on I found out the standard price is really 200.

Prices are funny here. The ferry I think had 350 php marked on the window of the Batangas ticket office, but the staff only asked for 300.

@Trailboss123, you might have something to add here?
There are definitely less expensive ways (compared to the private route that I used) to get to and from Batangas and Puerto Galera, as described above, but can also be frought with challenges and constantly changing schedules or even downright cancellation of services. For me personally, if I have already been traveling 20 hours and I am on vacation, I would rather budget the private transportation from the airport direct to the resort I am staying at in PG without any delays or haggling. Door to Door for me-- but if cash strapped and time is not of the essence, I can see saving considerable money and using the various modes of public transportation. One thing about the private transportation route is that the cost is the same whether traveling solo or in a group of 6. So, the more people, the less the individual cost.

Dived PG recently and the ferries were definitely a pain with no semblance of organisation. Ended up having to wait over 3-4 hours due to delays/changing schedules. I would suggest just taking the earliest fastcraft ferries available (whether to Muelle or Balatero) and take a trike over to Sabang and avoid the Ro-Ro if possible. If you can afford it, most resorts should offer private transportation (expect 6-8k pesos for boat+van to Manila) but these would be a wooden banca and the seas can be rough at times. As someone mentioned previously - these are fixed prices regardless of how many people you have so its definitely worth it if you have a larger group.

Private transfer to Calapan and the rest is easy by public transport(ferry and bus) to Manila.

Back
Top Bottom