upgrade decisions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do you need (or think you need) to upgrade? With less than 50 dives, you really should not need anything else.
I was wondering this.

What's the benefit you want to get from upgrading? If your gear is working then why upgrade it?

When you do upgrade have a clear reason for it. For example, I upgraded my computer so I could hand my older one down. I upgraded my fins because I was getting more into photography and needed to perfect a broader range of kicks to control my position (and my existing splits were getting in the way of that). Etc.

upgraded to chrome plated brass a while back

full.jpg

50yrs old and the best looking reg out there

the only cold water reg, chrome plated brass

available from your local ebay seller for not much change

remember when they started pumping out the cheaper to produce plastic regs
"ounces lighter to combat jaw fatigue"

my equipment is in very nice condition but its fun to upgrade .do i need to not really but do i want to what diver wouldn't lol .im up in canada so updating to a good coldwater set of regs is reason 1 ,everyone is talking about the comfort and fit of a wing 2 and all the dives up here are low visibility and you can read a oled puter way better than a backlit one these are the reasons for wanting upgrades
Your money, but I reckon you should wait till you have a lot more experience to see what gear you really want, or better still, need. I have over 4,000 dives, do regular dives to 45 metres, but see no need to use a wing setup. OLED computers are nice, but other backlit ones are almost as good. Get more experience and then decide.

Your money, but I reckon you should wait till you have a lot more experience to see what gear you really want, or better still, need. I have over 4,000 dives, do regular dives to 45 metres, but see no need to use a wing setup. OLED computers are nice, but other backlit ones are almost as good. Get more experience and then decide.
main reason is diving drysuit in cold waters.i wouldn't need to carry all the extra lead on a wing and regs they work great but we do a bunch of cold water diving so just looking to upgrade to ones that can handle that.as for computer im a tech geek .its new its shiny me wants a new computer

main reason is diving drysuit in cold waters.i wouldn't need to carry all the extra lead on a wing and regs they work great but we do a bunch of cold water diving so just looking to upgrade to ones that can handle that.as for computer im a tech geek .its new its shiny me wants a new computer

define cold? Most peoples definition of cold do not equate to the regulators definition of cold. Surface temperatures are easily as important as water temperatures for reference.

define cold? Most peoples definition of cold do not equate to the regulators definition of cold. Surface temperatures are easily as important as water temperatures for reference.
northern Canada temps low 40s i do not plan to ice dive but do like to go out just after the ice is off the lakes

northern Canada temps low 40s i do not plan to ice dive but do like to go out just after the ice is off the lakes

surface temps when you do that? low 40's I wouldn't feel the need to "upgrade" regulators. I have seen more than my fair share of dives where the water is in the 40's and/or the surface temps are at or below freezing and as long as you behave at the surface, they have no issues. Sealed is always better, but that's not a condition where I would "require" it

Why do you need (or think you need) to upgrade? With less than 50 dives, you really should not need anything else.

Perhaps a poor choice of words, change wording to buying new gear for expanding dive possibilities, and satisfying curiosity about other gear choices.

I usually wait 'till something wears out, but the OP's way sounds like more fun.

Bob

All he needs to for the second stages is the metal jam nuts to upgrade to the ATX-40 level.
To upgrade the first stage he just needs to add secondary seal assuming he has a US4. This will upgrade him to a DS4.

Personally I am not done upgrading gear until I am happy that every part of my rig is just as I want it to be. Less need or want, just how I am. I sense OP is of a similar mindset.

I have my ideal rig written down and I get parts of it as and when circumstances align. I include training in that ideal. And thus over time rig Nirvana beckons.

For OP, my 2 cents agrees with tbone. Get yourself a BP/W rig with a steel plate for your cold water diving and go from there. You may also like a dir reg setup with a longer hose primary and a necklaced octo, but there are lots of little things like that you can play with. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom