Any bonaire changes since 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Livin the dream

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My husband and I are heading to bonaire in 2 weeks. We were there 6 years ago for our honeymoon and are very excited to be going back. Any food recommendations, must do dive sites, or general information to be aware of? We are aiming for 4 dives per day. Thanks for any insight you may have.

Ive been here 3,5 years and have seen quite some changes. Where to start?!?

Traffic jams of 10-20 cars in the morning, lunch time and afternoon ;-)

Police checks on alcohol, licence, insurance etc. New traffic law in place since Jan. and will be inforced as of Aug.

More people, residential as well as tourists and cruiseships.

Marine park tag $45 instead of $25.

One thing that didn.t change are the bad roads

Im always confused to hear that so many people do 4 dives a day. 2 is fine for me, occasional 3rd one is ok... But 4 or 5, never ever...

Please send me pm on ideas for dive tours

Delfins
Coco Beach Club
are new since then.

was the Courtyard by Marriott there then?

Please send me pm on ideas for dive tours
You get up fairly early - we stay in Belnem - and dive a far south site around the slave huts. Then throw everything in the truck and drive thru town to a dive just north of the dive resorts - or even there - Cliff, Bari Reef etc.

Pack up again and drive to a south site near the Hooker. Stop for lunch in town along the way. Then drive back to a far north site like Karpata which will force you back thru Rincon. Stop there for dinner or in K-town.

The idea of driving between areas is to use up your surface interval in the truck - not sitting there waiting to dive a nearby site. We stayed at BelMar condos so stopped off for lunch/change tanks etc. also - it's right off the main road south of town.

You can even night dive at your resort/condo's house reef. Many have lights. A few even have a light in/on the water. Pretty sure BelMar did. Not enough to see by but enough to navigate to.

It's not for everyone but who goes to Bonaire to be a tourist?

I dont remember a marriott last time.

We are staying at buddy dive again. I like the idea of driving during the surface interval.

We were planning breakfast at buddy, snacking for lunch, and then going out for dinner. Worked well last trip. Gives alot of flexibility for diving.

Thanks for your input.

It's on the lagoon south of town - no dive there. The nearest is probably Windsock or 18Palms at the Plaza - both a drive.
Courtyard Bonaire Dive Resort

I definitely remember the lagoon. No hotel at the time but it looks great. Thanks for the link. Have you heard any reviews about it?

Italian food up in Hato, Italy in the World is really great. Prices are not low but you get what you pay for. Pasta is handmade every day.

Mona Lisa isn't new but the food and service are great.

We like the Windsock Beach Bar. Food is fresh, prices are decent, but service is slow unless you're Dutch.

If you are a fan of the Kite City food truck, it is now at Te Amo Beach (beside Port Bonaire and across from the airport).

I definitely remember the lagoon. No hotel at the time but it looks great. Thanks for the link. Have you heard any reviews about it?
It opened up about 2 years ago. It has a Dive Friends location on site and has been getting solid Trip Advisor reviews. It is not waterfront, but on the lagoon, as has been mentioned. I will be in Bonaire for 2 weeks in August. First week is in a waterfront villa with friends. 2nd week, I will be there solo, so I decided to stay at the Courtyard Marriott, since I had enough points to stay the entire week for free. So, I will definitely do a full trip report afterward, as I don't think anyone on Scubaboard has yet to do one.

Reactions: mbs
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom