Editing videos....what program do you use???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another vote for Vegas. I'm actually using the Pro 15 version because it can handle the 400 Mbps All-Intra files of the GH5, but the Studio version is good too.
The comment of Tippytoes12 from 2016 is still valid!

Another vote for Vegas. I'm actually using the Pro 15 version because it can handle the 400 Mbps All-Intra files of the GH5, but the Studio version is good too.
The comment of Tippytoes12 from 2016 is still valid!

Totally agree about using the camera over post adjustments. Takes a little more time for each setup, but the results and time savings are worth it. That's one of the biggest reasons I had for getting a G7X. Super easy white balance underwater.

I just upgraded my Vegas Pro version to 15 recently, and it looks like Magix is implementing a lot of the stuff that Sony avoided doing in their final versions. Nice to see them keeping this product alive. One major bummer was VASST Production Assistant 2.0 not transferring into Vegas Pro 15 -- PA 3.0 is a new purchase. For anyone doing more than 2-3 edits a week, Production Assistant is a big time saver.

Lance

I may have missed it, but I don't see Blackmagic Davinci Resolve mentioned in the thread.
It is cross platform Windows & Mac, and the free version is plenty powerful for even most pro editors. It does prefer a pretty powerful computer though.

DaVinci Resolve 15 | Blackmagic Design

Da Vinci is very nice, but the hardware requirements are pretty high
I studied myself the possibility of implementing a low cost Da Vinci solution
It is possible to buy second hand workstations for about 500 euros, excluding screen and some peripherals
It is the lowest possible hardware that barely matches the requirements of Da Vinci 15 (last version)
Something like this
HP Z400 Intel Xeon Six 6-Core W3680 3.33GHz 16GB RAM Quadro GFX Workstation PC | eBay
Then a powerful GPU that costs about 200 bucks would be necessary, plus some other gadgets
Total about 500 eur like I said before

With this kind of hardware sometimes it would take hours or even days to process 4k videos...

Da Vinci is very nice, but the hardware requirements are pretty high
I studied myself the possibility of implementing a low cost Da Vinci solution
It is possible to buy second hand workstations for about 500 euros, excluding screen and some peripherals
It is the lowest possible hardware that barely matches the requirements of Da Vinci 15 (last version)
Something like this
HP Z400 Intel Xeon Six 6-Core W3680 3.33GHz 16GB RAM Quadro GFX Workstation PC | eBay
Then a powerful GPU that costs about 200 bucks would be necessary, plus some other gadgets
Total about 500 eur like I said before

With this kind of hardware sometimes it would take hours or even days to process 4k videos...

Yeah, I know it can be a resource hog, but isn't as bad if you are just doing HD. But it does cost nothing to download it and see if it is usable on your system, so that's a plus.

I’ve got a mid 2012 Mac book pro and would like to know what would be the best software to edit underwater videos for like "white balances". I know people mentioned sony vegas, adobe, final cut pro etc.... but they are all so damn expensive, any free or even cheaper softwares that would do the work ? And not looking for a software you have to pay for a monthly fee like Adobe. Also for the latest ipad pro 11" if there is any app. Thanks !

I have used Premiere Elements for several years and was quite satisfied until I upgraded to the 2018 version. There is a known issue that prevents you from exporting your project if any changes are made to clips that have been stabilized or if you save a new version of a project that has stabilized clips. This requires you to re-run the shake stabilizer in each clip, which is massively annoying and time consuming.

As such, I am in the process of moving to the free version of Davinci Resolve. It is quite complicated to learn but is also way more powerful than Premiere Elements. The colour grading capabilities are extremely impressive and the stabilizer is significantly better than the Adobe warp stabilizer. It runs well on my Dell 7000 Gaming laptop (i7, 32GB, GTX1070, two SSDs) but I need to create proxies to monitor 4K video without stutter. I plan to build my next project on this platform.

Mostly used in Japan also in USA broadcast tv and live sport broadcast. Designed for fast editing and delivery on TV chanels. Very fast and powerfull. Editing 4K in laptop with no dedicated graphics card with no prob...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom