TekDiveGirl / Kimber Hawkens Thurman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life can be so unexpected. Thank you Kimber for showing how not to give up.

Don I am sorry for your loss.

Reactions: D_B
Wow, I remember her--and the awful news about her accident--from the old Usenet scuba forum. When that forum disintegrated I never knew what had become of her. What a valiant and constructive life she led. I'm sorry I never met her. Deepest condolences to all.

From Kimber's professors and students at the Faculty Mentor graduation ceremony.
We also received a lot of hand written notes, cards of fellow CSUSM students sharing what she meant to them.
Most thankful for the care we were shown by everyone, but especially professor Dan Berry (Kimber got quite a kick out of his name ) who took us up to his lab to see where Kimber worked and see some of the brain scans she worked with in the study of empathy.(it's quite unusual to have a person in the lab entrusted with taking data that is not a second or third year, Kimber was that good)

Kimber Faculty grad poster.jpg

Kimber Faculty grad picture stand.jpg

I am so proud of you :jump: :heart:

I'll share a little secret
She knew that others looked up to her, how they admired her never giving up attitude and her courage to take stuff on .. they told her this many times and it was recently evidenced in how the professors would work with her after she missed classes at the end of last/first of this year when she was in the hospital/rehab.

But she would say this to me about that ... simply ... "what else could I do?"

In her mind, for her .. there was no other choice

In recovery/therapy after her accident , it was always "yes" to the question of can you/do you want to do some more, even if stopping for the day might have been the expected decision.

We , Me , on the other hand ...more likely would have said .. "can we resume tomorrow, I'm tired and hurting and want to stop"

Not Kimber, Not ever
❤️❤️❤️

Kimber may be gone now, but she will never be far from our hearts

"Think Pink" :heart:
"Pink , it's the new Black" :jump:

I miss you my pink winged angel :(

Kimber Think Pink wings small.jpg

RIP

Awww, she was wonderful! We watched the SB table at the Long Beach Scuba Show together a couple years ago. Indeed she got nearly 15 more years because the world just couldn't let her go that soon. RIP after a better life than most.

gawd what a strong woman she was

... Oh how I wish I had even the tiniest bit of her strength right now

I am sure that right now it has to feel that way, but I'd be willing to bet that you will not come away from the time you shared with Kimber, without having gained some of her inner strength yourself.

The person you are today, and more importantly, the person you will be in years to come will profit from carrying some part of her forever inside of you.

Today though, all you can do is do your best to get through each day, but know that the load you carry will gradually grow a little lighter as time passes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom