Freedom Plate Divers Roll Call: show us your rig!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I just received my beautiful Freedom plate in the mail today wow it’s shiny. It’s beautiful in pictures but even more amazing to hold it in my hands. I think I will not use the rail or the wedge block with my VDH wing and just keep it simple but I got them just Incase for the future.

I have the VDH 23# wing. is it the preferred way to hold the VDH wing to the plate with just the Camstraps?
After a bit of stretching out my brand new tight wing I was able to get the bolts to line up with the grommet holes. but I’m don’t think the bolts with regular nuts are meant to hold the wing to the plate seems like a bad idea unless I pickup some wingnuts and maybe plastic ones.

Also if i use the rail should I pickup some lock washers to make sure the nuts don’t back out? A washer came with the aluminum wedge block but not the rail.
View attachment 515169 View attachment 515168 View attachment 515167 View attachment 515166 View attachment 515165 View attachment 515164 View attachment 515163

What was your wait time?

Well I just received my beautiful Freedom plate in the mail today wow it’s shiny. It’s beautiful in pictures but even more amazing to hold it in my hands. I think I will not use the rail or the wedge block with my VDH wing and just keep it simple but I got them just Incase for the future.

I have the VDH 23# wing. is it the preferred way to hold the VDH wing to the plate with just the Camstraps?
After a bit of stretching out my brand new tight wing I was able to get the bolts to line up with the grommet holes. but I’m don’t think the bolts with regular nuts are meant to hold the wing to the plate seems like a bad idea unless I pickup some wingnuts and maybe plastic ones.

Also if i use the rail should I pickup some lock washers to make sure the nuts don’t back out? A washer came with the aluminum wedge block but not the rail.
View attachment 515169 View attachment 515168 View attachment 515167 View attachment 515166 View attachment 515165 View attachment 515164 View attachment 515163
Don’t use those 5/16” bolts for the wing, those are to use with the rail only. Also, the flat washer with the wedge. No need for lock nuts or washers, just snug them down a little and they’ll be fine. The cam bands go through the plate anyway. I forgot to enclose the two 1/4” stainless carriage bolts for just wing use. If you’re using just the wing with no rail or no wedge There are two very short little 1/4” stainless carriage bolts that are just enough to hold the wing on that should have come with the plate. I spaced it out because you ordered it with a rail and that comes with it’s own bolts. The 1/4” nut is small enough that it snuggles down into the grommet a little and is out of the way. Even though the square holes in the plate are for 5/16” bolts, the 1/4” still work fine even though a little loose, it’s just to hold the wing in place while you put the tank on.
Run the cam bands through the plate with all set ups.
I’ll get some 1/4” bolts off to you right away.

@Kasey Kohler, @Eric Sedletzky

I am finally setting my freedom plate after having it for a few months and hope to dive it next week. I will post pictures of the set up when finished. I do not have a wedge. If I feel after diving it that I need one is that something eric has or is that from vdh?

The initial setup with plate, cam bands, and hog wing seems very secure. Carriage bolts not used.

@Kasey Kohler, @Eric Sedletzky

I am finally setting my freedom plate after having it for a few months and hope to dive it next week. I will post pictures of the set up when finished. I do not have a wedge. If I feel after diving it that I need one is that something eric has or is that from vdh?

The initial setup with plate, cam bands, and hog wing seems very secure. Carriage bolts not used.
Yes I have wedges. They are a fairly new product so they might not have been available when you got your plate. It’s a very simple solution to increase the tank angle.
In fact, they might even be able to be used on doubles plates to increase angle.

What was your wait time?

I put my order in August 30, 2018. But after Eric started actually marking them I got if fairly quickly. I emailed him about a weeks and a half ago about the status and he asked me what assesssories I wanted I told him and within a few days he had sent out my order.
I’m very happy with the whole process all in all.

Don’t use those 5/16” bolts for the wing, those are to use with the rail only. Also, the flat washer with the wedge. No need for lock nuts or washers, just snug them down a little and they’ll be fine. The cam bands go through the plate anyway. I forgot to enclose the two 1/4” stainless carriage bolts for just wing use. If you’re using just the wing with no rail or no wedge There are two very short little 1/4” stainless carriage bolts that are just enough to hold the wing on that should have come with the plate. I spaced it out because you ordered it with a rail and that comes with it’s own bolts. The 1/4” nut is small enough that it snuggles down into the grommet a little and is out of the way. Even though the square holes in the plate are for 5/16” bolts, the 1/4” still work fine even though a little loose, it’s just to hold the wing in place while you put the tank on.
Run the cam bands through the plate with all set ups.
I’ll get some 1/4” bolts off to you right away.

Hey Eric thanks for the info. I won’t use the 5/16 bolts for just the wing then. I wasn’t so sure about them anyway.

Wow, that is gorgeous! I am eagerly anticipating mine!

Yeah, you don't want to bolt the wing to the plate like that. The cam straps will pin the tank against those bolts with all of their force, and that will scratch and gouge the crap out of your tank.

As stated above, you don't have to use anything, but platisic bolts will make your rig easier to assemble.

I actually put some holes in strips of 1.5" nylon webbing to put between the wing and the plate, and another on the other side between the wing and plastic bolts so that the extra grommets on the wing won't scratch the plate or tank. It probably isn't necessary on the tank side since the plastic bolts should keep the tank off the grommets, but it makes me feel better. Beware, though, the DGX plastic bolts are barely long enough for the extra nylon, and the Piranha Dive bolts simply aren't.

I can post a picture, if you like.

I would love to see a picture of your setup and how you bolt it.

Hi @Eric Sedletzky, I just logged in and saw your message to me regarding the FP I ordered! Sorry for the delay, Ive been checking in every other week since October but must have checked just before you sent me the message. Ive sent a reply to your message. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom