Kauai May 7-13

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

goflyplanes

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have any suggestions for dive ops in Kauai? Every shop seems to have their trips and their way to run it and I have no idea where to go. Could also totally go the route of looking for a dive buddy and shore diving. I'll be there May 7-13. I am an MSDT and have experience with all kinds of diving and have my own transportation.

Anyone have any suggestions for dive ops in Kauai? Every shop seems to have their trips and their way to run it and I have no idea where to go. Could also totally go the route of looking for a dive buddy and shore diving. I'll be there May 7-13. I am an MSDT and have experience with all kinds of diving and have my own transportation.
I was on Kauai in early March this year. I was hoping for a trip to Niihau, but the days I could dive, the weather didn't cooperate. By May, the odds are more in your favor and you should try to get it.

I dove with Bubbles Below out of Port Allen. This is new (and improved) management of the operation and they took over in January of this year. Big thumbs up to them. The day I went out the visibility was not optimal, and rather than trying one or two spots and dumping us in the water, we when from Port Allen North to just off the old sugar mill, and then South to just off Poipu beach. Just a testament to their customer service.

Contact Anthony - AquamanKauai - here on SB, He works for one of the shops. I liked Seasport Divers but it was a long time ago. If you're staying on the south side near Poipu, they and Fathom Five keep their boats nearby. If you plan to shore dive Tunnels - Jeanette at Fathom Five is known as one of the guides to use. If you're staying around Princeville, expect a long drive - I believe the closest shop is Seasport's Kapaa location.

You should be able to dive NI'ihau then and you definetely want to. All day trip on the boat and the shops provide lunch.

Definitely shore dive Koloa Landing also. Both operations run trips there also if you can't find a buddy - I've seen Seasports van there once. It's a pretty good dive with an easy entry down the old boat ramp.

I believe Ahukini is still closed to divers.

I'm a big fan of Fathom Five, in old Koloa Town. They run a boat out of the nearby harbor, shore dives at Koloa Landing and, in the season, Tunnels Beach on the north side.

I believe the road to Tunnels is still closed so I assume no shore diving on the north shore. Last I saw best case scenario was that the road repairs would be done at the end of May, still don't know if that means it will be open come June. If anyone knows please advise, as we will be there the first week of June and would love to shore dive Tunnels again but not getting hopes up that it will be accessible yet.

I second the suggestion of looking into Explore Kauai Scuba. Nick and Jessie are awesome!! You won't find better customer service and their passion for diving and sharing ocean time far exceeds the others in my opinion. There's been some considerable changes in the last year in the dive operations. Lots of turnover. Everyone is very professional though and runs really nice operations. If you have specific questions please feel free to send me a PM. I'd be happy to help. Niihau is a must do for sure. Also hit up Koloa Landing. Awesome shore dive with crazy cool and rare critters.
Cheers
A

Was just there 2 weeks ago. Will be writing a trip report after this post. Dove with Fathom Five which is about a 30 minute drive from where we stayed in Kapa’a. They were easy to deal with in booking the dives. The crew on the boat was knowledgeable, safety conscious and fun. They changed over tanks during surface intervals, provided snacks and drinks (coffee at the shop), and took care of our gear since we did several days of diving.The maximum number of divers is 6. Parking is at their shop and they shuttle you to the boat in a nice van. Would definitely dive with them again.

Regarding Tunnels Beach, the road was still closed so it was out as a dive site. Nihau is a 7-9 hour day. I was told that it is about a 3 hour boat ride there and longer to get back, but there is an op that uses a Zodiac and can get you there in about 45 minutes.

Koloa Landing is a shore diving site. Just a note - I took only my full foot fins so had no boots. You have to walk out a ways before you can swim and the walking is over big rocks. They didn't warn me at the shop so I was barefoot and struggled a bit.

Hi aquamankauai. I’m gonna be staying in Koloa landing in June with non-diving fam and friends. Can u recommend a dive op/snorkel boat (if they have that type of op)? Or would it better just to shore dive and let nondivers snorkel in PoipuBeach? Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom