Hockey stick ?? - Info Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
My red headed wife is a huge hockey fan - I do not share her enthusiasm for the sport .

But we do share a strong life time enthusiasm for SCUBA diving and spearfishing. We often travel and camp in the wilds of Baja California, Mexico where I often continue perfecting my spear fishing skills by consumptive spear fishing. .

My journey into the sport began so many years ago with off the shelf guns , but for the last 40 years or more I have been using custom spear guns of my own design

It is now past time for my wife to have her own custom pop gun size spear gun.

I have been toying with using a hockey stick as a barrel. From what I can glean from various sources it would be an ideal choice barrel. Thin. tapered , strong. water proof

I need some one to provide the dimensions of a typical hockey stick : Length X width X tapper etc

And if the dimensions are compatible with my thoughts on a Spear Gun for my wife I will need an old retired but useful to me a Hockey Stick to be repurposed into a California Spear Gun

I appreciate your assistance

Sam Miller, III

Most sticks are hollow composite shafts. Low end ones are more fiberglass. High end ones are more carbon fiber. Are you looking for wood?

The best sticks are plywood of birch or ash, although maple is also used. The handles are laid up in 1/8” or so layers, and the handle measures about 3/4 of an inch wide and 1 1/8 Deep. A stick may be no more than 63 inches from the heel to the top of the handle.

I think that a stick handle would be more flexible than you would want. A speargun is pretty rigid.

@Wookie best sticks used to be, most of them now are carbon. You can get them in immensely stiff flex ratings.

For this application though, I would consider using a replacement blade and putting it on the end of the shaft as a butt stock vs. trying to use the actual shaft. It would be very uncomfortable to use

@Wookie best sticks used to be, most of them now are carbon. You can get them in immensely stiff flex ratings.

For this application though, I would consider using a replacement blade and putting it on the end of the shaft as a butt stock vs. trying to use the actual shaft. It would be very uncomfortable to use
Yes, the best sticks for hockey are no longer wood. The best wood for making a speargun are wood hockey sticks made of ash or birch, but I wouldn’t use a wood hockey stick for a speargun. It’s too flexible.

Please forgive me if I was confusing.

A big thank you - one and each of you have provided the answer for a a hockey stick based gun
and the answer is NO ! A hockey stick is too thin and possibly too flexible to be successfully modified into a spear gun barrel.

I have a number of spear shafts all that have been bent by angry fish so they now will shoot up or down or left or right or I assume in some cases all four directions .. I will cut one of them off to a reasonable size for my wife's pop gun

In the distant past I have successfully laid up and alternating pieces of birch and teak to produce a
lovely gun that was the most inaccurate gun I ever produced. I then began making guns of teak with a base of horizontal teak supporting a barrel of sold teak, which I now use

I also have a spare Alexander 1000 pound trigger mechanism which I have been using for testing and experimenting. It is way more than needed for I suspect the sling pull will be about 50 to 65 pounds for my dear wife's gun

So it will be a tried and true .teak and Alexander based gun- possible the last one I will make

Thank you again for your responses and allowing me to bore you with my thoughts

Happy Easter

Sam Miller, 111

Hombre

One heck of a good suggestion...
My son and I have always manage to carve our names into the gun via the good ole Dremel tool and all its wonderful attachments
Now for a Hockey based theme ????
Thanks again

Sam Miller,III

Sam,

Could you not use a hockey stick, split down the middle and install a rib of stiff material to prevent the flexing? I would also imagine that the longer the shaft the more flex the gun would produce.

I don't know a lot about spear guns but I imagine a stiff spine down the gun, short length and less powerful bands could over come some of the flex...

Or use two sticks in a T fashion as I image the sticks are only designed to flex in one direction.

Food for thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom