Trip Report Roatan - Fantasy Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alan Browne

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Got back last week from Roatan/Fantasy Island.

Can't say more how much I appreciate Ria, Chris, John (JT) and "Pancho" for great service and support while there. DM Michael was the picture of cool and calm.

Plan was 20 - 21 dives but weather and my left ear reduced that to 16. Night dive was cancelled (weather), I missed the boat on one afternoon (time dyslexia - that's my story and I'm sticking to it) and my left ear was jammed up after a late evening shore dive where I neglected to clear my ears when I was deeper than I thought (focused on the compass...).

Weather was generally sunny, hot, hot and hotter with occasional bouts of hot. The island's generator quit at least a dozen times over the course of the week. Room A/C would not restart w/o human intervention (a good thing or the generator would face a hundred or so A/C loads on start....).

Corals: the decay in coral did not appear to have gotten worse since my trip in 2018 - but there are areas that are clearly stressed.

Fauna: did not see the wide variety or number of fish this time. I only saw one green moray (basking inside the Prince Albert wreck) on the whole trip. Last year saw many.

Others saw a few nurse sharks and turtles and one reef shark. I don't believe them, of course!

Skills: I suck. This whole going on a dive vacation 1 per year thing means I suck for the first 3 dives (okay 6) and have to get my buoyancy back on track, forget crap and otherwise am a disaster. I vow to take a refresher before my next trip. I vow I tell you! I vow!!!!

Nitrox: my first nitrox experience. Certified in Feb. Most dives on nitrox. Only one dive was near 1.4 PPO2 depth, most others were well clear of that. Can't say it was all that necessary given my dive times and the profile there but it was a good experience. Did it reduce fatigue? Not that I could tell.

(A friend who was there is adamant that nitrox reduces his fatigue level).

Sundry.

Rooms: simple, nice, clean, functional. Could use better balcony furniture. Hammock.

Food: quality excellent. Very good cook. Variety: lean. I'd rather good quality and low variety than the other way around. Each day had different breakfast, lunch and supper entrées.

Unlimited dives: US$469 (3 boat / day, + 1 night dive, all you can eat shore dives).
Sunwing: Airfare (Montreal) + Resort (all-in): CAD: $1415 / US $1030.

Departure flight was 4 hours late due to weather, but I caught that in the morning and we slept in. Got to the airport for an easy check in (as most people showed up on time for the flight). Boarded and there was another hour of delay in the de-icing bay before departure. Stop in Toronto to board more bodies (this is not announced when you buy the package only appears after you pay for it and see the flight itinerary - shame on Sunwing).
Turbulent flight with a near 0 g period soon after takeoff. Did not 'sit well' for some passengers who filled several bags...

Return: on time, smooth.

Thanks for the report. I was surprised having believed Fantasy Island to have been closed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom