Best U.S. Cell Carrier in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had AT&T and now Cricket (runs off AT&T) and my plan covers unlimited talk, text, data in US, Mexico, Canada. I've never had issues with service in Q-Roo or Baja California Sur

I travel internationally a lot. I have AT&T. I use WiFi calling on my phone, turn off data roaming, and just go. I have no need to have data and cellular available when I’m not near a hotspot. And when I have a hotspot available, I can call and text for free anyways.

I travel abroad a lot. United 2M. Try AT&T next time you’re in Indonesia. I just got back. It’s expensive - no $10/day plan. $50/Gb from AT&T. And no IP (WiFi) on many of the islands. Good luck with your IP calls. TM or GFi much better option. Local SIM best.

Not true.

AT&T Mexico resulted from an acquisition of Lusacell (and Nextel Mexico). It is based out of Mexico City and is a licensed operator of the AT&T brand. It is also known as AT&T Wireless Mexico. It is a Mexican company and owned by AT&T Latin America.

Yes, it is a MX licensed version of a US branded company. You are correct in that they don't have US plans or US service - it's a reciprocated service like all others.

Hey all. AT&T has terrible service in Cozumel (no data, $10/day/line for voice and text), and we're looking to switch. Are you happy with your non-AT&T cell phone plan in Cozumel? If yes, what is it?

As others have said, I have ATT and it works great in Playa and Tulum. My normal ATT plan works in Mexico and Canada the same as it does in the US. No extra fees or plans, I don't even need to call ATT to let them know I am going abroad.

I travel internationally a lot. I have AT&T. I use WiFi calling on my phone, turn off data roaming, and just go. I have no need to have data and cellular available when I’m not near a hotspot. And when I have a hotspot available, I can call and text for free anyways.

You must have a driver or only use public transportation or maybe offline google maps. I have to drive all over the countryside looking for my destinations, and would likely still be lost somewhere between Warsaw and Manchester if I didn't have data on my phone. I could survive on Wifi and offline google maps if forced too, but that's still difficult.

I typically use 1GB/week while traveling for work; maps, train tickets, yelp, google translate, facetime with family, and skype business meetings.

When traveling for vacation, I can live on Wifi if I'm not driving and leaving the resort area.

In most destinations, I go straight from the airport to a wireless provider and buy a prepaid SIM. Usually only $20 or $30 for 4-8 Gigs for 30days. Biggest pain was in Germany where I needed proof of identity and a local address (hotel) and 24 hours before activation.

I've seriously considered Google Fi, but I'm an apply guy.

If you need more than 5Gb/mo when you are vacationing on Cozumel you are spending too much time on your phone. :D

So, you don't use WiFi when you're down there? :cool:

Verizon.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora

Like so many things, it all depends. You have to ask yourself what you want out of your service, what you are willing to pay for, and what you are not willing to pay for. The AT&T plan I have had for the last couple of years covers Mexico with the same plan I have in the US. I wanted more data and the plan that had enough data included service in Mexico. I want to use my own phone number and I want the data plan (don’t really need it, but I like having it) so this works for me. I usually get a good signal on the island. AT&T is my personal phone. I also have a business phone on Verizon. Sometimes one will have a signal and the other doesn’t, but the service seems to be comparable overall. A local SIM might be better in some ways, but not when I want my own phone number. My plan is about $125/month for a lot of data (don’t remember how much) on two lines. They change plans all the time so you have to see what they have available now. I agree the $10/day international plan is not very good. I travel a fair amount on business and have been to Japan, Korea, Thailand, and Brazil in the last year. The international plan is pricey there, but my regular plan works great in Mexico.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom