Under Armour using Celliant, like Bare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

absorbs heat and converts it into infrared" just sounds like Marketing BS, to me. Radiated heat and "infrared energy" are the same thing, as far as I know.

To quote Samuel L. Jackson, "Correctomundo." Perhaps their material does a good job of helping hold on to your body heat, but indeed, there is no "converting." Body heat is infrared. Pure marketing junk.

@Ryan Neely if you're going to be diving anywhere near MN, you should really think about a drysuit.

Seaskin makes very nice suits. Made to measure and very inexpensive. My Nova is fully optioned out and was still only $1100. Fits great and very high quality. The base suit, with no options, is still made to measure and starts around $650. Their made to measure compressed neoprene suits are even less.

Dry Suits from Seaskin Custom Drysuits home page - Seaskin Custom Diving Suits

Thanks for the link @stuartv. My wife and I will be conducting approximately 90% of our dives in Minnesota. I think we're looking at dry suits for next year. (We haven't finished our checkout dives yet, and she's a little skittish about learning something new until she's spent a little more time working on her basic skills ... and I can't say I'm too far ahead of her in that realm.)

We'll need wetsuits for travel so our plan is to buy wetsuits for summer diving here (and abroad) and over the winter work in the pool educating ourselves on drysuit functionality.

Thanks for the link! I'll keep it handy for this winter or next spring when we're ready to make a purchase.

Not sure about the Under Armour stuff, but as far as testing the Celliant technology, my experience is this, I got a new Hollis semi-dry suit, I needed new gloves, so I thought I would try the Bare Ultrawarmth 5mm gloves, and I have a pair of 6.5mm Mares boots. I did a dive in 42F water. After the dive, my body was fine, my hands were fine, my feet were freezing cold. I tend not to listen to the Marketing BS either, but 5mm on my hands vs 6.5mm on my feet. But hands and feet are 2 different parts of the body, different thermal requirements. I decided to listen to the marketing BS and ordered a pair of the Bare 7mm boots, so I will know in a few weeks

Ha ha! I think the most scientific test I'll be running on this suit is "am I as warm or warmer than I was in my old SP suit at the same temps." Which is to say, not scientific at all. :D

I was always felt like the Celliant "technology" came with a huge helping of Marketing Hype. But, that doesn't mean there is nothing at all in there that makes it good. Like I said earlier, I'm thinking that it is probably comparable to other suits that have a Merino wool or similar lining.

But, I thought it was interesting that UA has picked it up. I think it would be interesting to compare a UA Rush shirt to a UA shirt that doesn't have the Celliant tech in it and see if you can notice a difference in the warmth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom