Zuma Bladder 'Upgrade'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

james_bond_007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
QUESTION: Can I upgrade my Zuma SM/MD 22lbs lift BCD's bladder to a MD/LG 34lb bladder?

BACKGROUND:
I have a Zuma BCD size SM/MD w/ 22 lbs lift.
This past week while trying to bring up a large 'simulated unresponsive' diver in my PADI Rescue Diver class, I was unable to do so. My bladder was 100% full, and spilling out via my over-pressure valve when I attempted to add more air, but I was not going anywhere towards the surface.

OPTIONS:
I understand I have a few options, in a case like this:
1) Drop my weights and/or the victim's weights.
(Since this was a simulated exercise in open water, we were instructed to NOT drop weights
to prevent any loss of equipment: my pockets and the dive shop's weights)
I would expect to be successful in gaining buoyancy to surface, but am apprehensive about
just how much weight to drop to maintain a controlled ascent.
In an emergency situation like that, it is not desirable to take the time for a 'drop a bit and try'
if no lift, 'drop some more and try again' etc. scenario.
2) Change to a different Zuma size with more lift. I would prefer not to do this, as I tried on all the other sizes
and this one fit the best.
3) Change to another model BCD. I would prefer not to do this, as I like the Zuma and it travels very light.
4) Upgrade the bladder to the ML/LG size with 34lbs of lift. I would like to know if this is an option? Would a MD/LG bladder 'fit' on a SM/MD BCD ?

I have not taken the rescue class. I would think they have a list of ways to get a diver to the surface ? Possibly in order of preference ?

Is inflating the divers BCD an allowable option ? By tank or orally ? I would think this would be the 1st preference as both you and the diver can be independently buoyant and controllable without expending energy.

I understand the shop not wanting to lose weights, but why not remove the weights and hand them to the instructor ? Dropping in 5lb increments sounds like it would allow a controllable ascent. Guess it depends on how the weight is carried whether or not this is possible.

Last edited:
I have a point, you should have been instructed to use the "victims" BCD for inflation, that would give you sufficient lift and control. Dropping your weights is a huge no no but releasing some of the victims weights while not optimum is sometimes an option.

I don't see this as an equipment problem but possibly a training misunderstanding.

I have a point, you should have been instructed to use the "victims" BCD for inflation, that would give you sufficient lift and control. Dropping your weights is a huge no no but releasing some of the victims weights while not optimum is sometimes an option.

I don't see this as an equipment problem but possibly a training misunderstanding.

We did it both ways: Our BCD and the Vitim's BCD.

The presumption when using our BCD was to simulate that the Victim had run out of air.
No air, no BCD inflation with the victim...thus we would have to use ours.

Thanks for reconfirming that dropping weights might be risky.

You know, I never got an answer to my question on whether I can upgrade my Zuma 22 lb bladder to a 34 lb bladder. The answers sort of took a sidetrack around the question.

If an upgrade is possible, what is an ESTIMATE of the cost?

Assuming that you ever actually tried to do something like this outside of a class, what happens when you loose control of the victim? He drops to the bottom while you rocket toward the surface, possibly injuring yourself badly . Bad idea. Your idea of an "upgrade" is a solution to a non-existent problem.

The retail for the larger bladder is about $110.
If you were in my shop asking that I would have to contact Aqualung to see if the part could be swapped out rather than assuming it would fit on the smaller harness. Ask your LDS for help if that cost seems worth it to you.

Back
Top Bottom