Suicide strap for recreational diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you work on the knob detunes the alternate second to avoid freeflow principle
like I do with the regs I'm currently using
as opposed to detuning internally with no noticable difference to cracking pressure

best you can get, a balanced second without a knob, unless it's an aesthetically pleasing knob

full.jpg

going strong for fifty years beautiful

I'm in favor of a bungeed secondary too. Mine is actually snug with the reg in my mouth like an RB gag strap. If it should ever happen that I think I'll lose consciousness, I'll put the secondary in, where it will stay put, to improve my chances. Just another thing to think about.

As it came up above, I'll add that my regs are tuned identically. The last thing I want is a higher WOB under stress.

my regs are tuned identically
Mine, too, sort of. My primary has a knob for adjusting cracking pressure which my backup hasn't, and I've turned down the venturi lever on the backup to reduce the risk of a free flow if the secondary ends up mouthpiece up. I reckon it won't be that difficult to turn it up if I'm going to breathe my backup.

I think it's kind of odd that I don't know of any reg manufacturer who offer kits with a 1st stage and 2 identical 2nd stages.

It seems like the choice is always a matched 1st and 2nd stage and then making a second choice of what individual 2nd stage to buy as an octo/alternate. And for that choice, it's either a cheap 2nd for the octo, or you pay a premium to buy a higher end 2nd stage by itself. Or you get a safe second, I guess.

The manufacturers usually give you a decent discount on a package (of 1st and 2nd together) versus buying the 1st and 2nd as individual pieces. It seems like they would do something similar for a package that has the 1st and 2 identical 2nd stages.

And, of course, that doesn't even mention how the reg kits all come standard with a hose that is of a purely useless (to me, anyway) length. 32" seems to be the standard. And who actually WANTS a 32" hose for anything?? I know people use them - simply because "that's what came with it." But, if that is your primary, it seems like anybody in their right mind would PREFER either a 40" hose, so they could route it under their arm, or a 22" hose (or thereabouts) to route it directly around the side of their head and into their mouth. 32" is just ridiculous. Too short to route under your arm and way too long for running straight to your mouth.

Okay. Sorry. Done ranting. For now... :wink:

Dive Rite too.

Both of my second stages are identical. I don’t understand why you would want 2 different ones.
Most of us buy a reg set rather early in our diving career. No matter the hose length, unless you really know what you want your secondary will most probably be lower-grade than your primary.

The difference may be significant, or it may be minor. In my case (XTX100/XTX40) it was minor, but noticeable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom